cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP, OSPF, IGRP, IS-IS and BGP

Senbonzakura
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings everyone, I need some personal insight on this. I've read and studied the N+ and CCNA, when to to configuring a network I can do this no problem using GNS3, Packet Tracer and my own equipment within my own environment but I lack the experience to figure out in which situation I would apply certain things.

The routing protocols EIGRP, OSPF, IGRP, IS-IS and BGP, in which situation would I apply them? If anyone would be willing to give me a detailed explanation better than what I've read in these books it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again everyone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
IGRP is generally no longer used.

EIGRP, OSPF and IS-IS pretty much "compete" against each other. IS-IS is generally used more by service providers, where EIGRP and OSPF are used by businesses. EIGRP is Cisco proprietary, OSPF and IS-IS are "public".

BGP is useful for dealing with massive router tables (e.g. Internet) and/or manually defined routing policies (also often used within the Internet).

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
IGRP is generally no longer used.

EIGRP, OSPF and IS-IS pretty much "compete" against each other. IS-IS is generally used more by service providers, where EIGRP and OSPF are used by businesses. EIGRP is Cisco proprietary, OSPF and IS-IS are "public".

BGP is useful for dealing with massive router tables (e.g. Internet) and/or manually defined routing policies (also often used within the Internet).

Thank you for clearing that up for me, it's greatly appreciated!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card