cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP: redistribute 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

aosandoval
Level 1
Level 1

I am working in setting up an Internet Failover solution, please see attached configuration.

I have 5 remote sites that use a local dedicated internet connection (1.5 mbps)

HQ is also using a dedicated internet connection (20 mbps)

I am running eigrp on all routers and core access switches.

I would like to create a failover solution for the remotes to use the HQ Internet connection if the local one goes down.

I had use:

router eigrp 10
                redistribute static

in the HQ core access switch (core2 in the topology).

Core 1 in the topology has the default route specified for the internal interface of FW1.

When I check eigrp topology on Core1, I get this: P 0.0.0.0/0, 0 successors, FD is Inaccessible.

I noticed that if I remove the defined default routes to 0.0.0.0 from rtr1 and core1, the redistribution of 0.0.0.0 from core2 is done.

What I am doing wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The Core1 reports the 0.0.0.0/0 network as Inaccessible in its EIGRP topology table because the routing table already contains a static default route and the EIGRP-learned route can not replace it because of its higher administrative distance. An EIGRP-learned route that cannot be installed into the routing table because a lower-AD route is already present in the routing table will be marked as Inaccessible in the EIGRP topology table and it will also be advertised as unreachable.

If you want to provide redundancy in your network, try propagating the default route from both Core1 and Core2 using the redistribute static command in the EIGRP. This way, the entire network will be capable of learning about possible border routers and converge on the nearest available.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The Core1 reports the 0.0.0.0/0 network as Inaccessible in its EIGRP topology table because the routing table already contains a static default route and the EIGRP-learned route can not replace it because of its higher administrative distance. An EIGRP-learned route that cannot be installed into the routing table because a lower-AD route is already present in the routing table will be marked as Inaccessible in the EIGRP topology table and it will also be advertised as unreachable.

If you want to provide redundancy in your network, try propagating the default route from both Core1 and Core2 using the redistribute static command in the EIGRP. This way, the entire network will be capable of learning about possible border routers and converge on the nearest available.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card