cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP redistrubted routes change explicit original AD of 175 to 170?

Hello.

GOAL: to add static routes so a www server will be accessible to the LAN through a backup VPN if primary VPN fails.

My strategy:

1. From the primary VPN gateway, inject the main static routes, then redistribute into EIGRP (default will make these routes AD=170).

2. From the secondary VPN gateway, inject the backup static routes with an AD=175, then redistribute into EIGRP.

--

QUESTIONS:

1. Will the redistributed backup static routes have an AD of 170 or 175?

2. If the backup static routes will have AD=170, then what is the architectural solution here?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

When you redistribute into EIGRP it will make them all have an AD of 170. You could probably accomplish this a couple ways. Create separate prefix lists with route maps. Then you redistribute individually and set metrics. Use lower metrics (K values) for the primary route and higher metrics for secondary route.

You could also redistribute the primary one into EIGRP making it have an AD of 170 and configure the backup as static with the given AD of 175.

-David

View solution in original post

to change metric do 

route-map mhm permit 10

match ip address prefix <include three prefix>
set metric <vaule>
!
redistribute static route-map mhm 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

You want specific route or all internal/external routes ?

Only three routes specific to this task need a solution. Below static routes need EIGRP redistribution with AD higher number than 170.

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 172.16.8.2 175
ip route 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.255 172.16.8.2 175
ip route 3.3.3.3 255.255.248.0 172.16.8.2 175

sorry we can not find way to set AD for specific route 
the AD can change only for all route. 
the other solution is set metric high, so even if it equal in AD but the metric is different 

Thank you for your reply.

Above post states...

"You could also redistribute the primary one into EIGRP making it have an AD of 170 and configure the backup as static with the given AD of 175."

Your thoughts?

Yes but I ask and you answer that only specific route. 
that why I answer there is no way to change the AD for specific either change all route or keep default

you can use metric to prefer one path than other.

to change metric do 

route-map mhm permit 10

match ip address prefix <include three prefix>
set metric <vaule>
!
redistribute static route-map mhm 

Hello,

When you redistribute into EIGRP it will make them all have an AD of 170. You could probably accomplish this a couple ways. Create separate prefix lists with route maps. Then you redistribute individually and set metrics. Use lower metrics (K values) for the primary route and higher metrics for secondary route.

You could also redistribute the primary one into EIGRP making it have an AD of 170 and configure the backup as static with the given AD of 175.

-David

Thank you for your reply.

OK so then to solve my task, I do (at least)...

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 172.16.8.2 175
ip route 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.255 172.16.8.2 175
ip route 3.3.3.3 255.255.248.0 172.16.8.2 175

...and

redistribute static metric 10000 0 255 1 1500 route-map static-to-eigrp

...and then the redistributed routes will NOT be AD 170 but WILL BE 175?

No. Anything redistributed will have the 170 AD, regardless. The only thing you can manipulate would be the metric as I mentioned above. Assuming you need the routes to propagate throughout the network then my first solution would not work. That's only good for the local router.

You would have to get a little creative. Right now all you have is 3 static routes with the same next hop. So I don't see any difference in the Primary/Backup routes.

You could implement something like this:

You primary routes add into EIGRP with the network statement giving them an AD of 90.

Then redistribute the static routes into EIGRP using a route map and prefix list matching on them specifically giving them an AD of 170.

-David

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card