Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp stuck in active

in stuck in active state why there is no feasible successor or not available the feasible successor. 

5 Replies 5

Hello,

it is unclear what you are asking. To understand EIGRP SIA, have a look at the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrMxzPdmb90

Mlex1
Spotlight
Spotlight
what do you mean? express your opinion
Спрашивай все что хочешь

Sorry for this. Actually I am also confuse to ask this question. It's a
interview question. So my question is

When the stuck in active come if the successor is down and there is no
feasible successor, then the router send a query and wait for 3 min before
reset the link. Am I right? Now question is why feasible successor is not
available or no feasible successor. Bcoz this is back up path of successor.
Why we use this term no feasible successor before stuck in active come.
Hope u all understand this.,.......

Hello,

I still don't really understand what you are asking...

When EIGRP loses a route, and if there is no feasible successor, the route goes from passive to active and the router starts sending queries to its neighbors, for the default of 180 seconds (3 minutes). If no reply to the queries is received, the route is declared SIA.

Maybe the confusion comes from the implication that 'losing a route' means losing the successor. When EIGRP loses a route, there is no successor anymore. If there is a feasible successor (backup successor, so to speak), it will immediately become the successor. If there is no feasible successor, the router starts sending queries to find one...

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

A route/prefix goes into "Active" state in the EIGRP table, when the successor is lost and there is no feasible successor (if there is a backup path, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a feasible successor path unless it meets the feasibility condition). The route stays Active state till all queries have been answered; if not answered after 1.5 minutes, it will send a SIA-Query to neighbours from which it got no answer yet; if not answered after 3 minutes (so after 1.5 minutes more), the neighborship with the respective neighbor goes down.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card