cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp Summarization problem

fabriziospada
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i need to know if is possible to advertise via eigrp only a part of a connected subnet using the summarization command 

For example , i have an interface vlan /24 buy i want advertise to my neighbor only a /25 

Thank you 

8 Replies 8

I dont think this possible.

Even if you config static route to null0 the traffic will drop becuase /25 is longer match than /24.

Sorry 

Hello,

@MHM Cisco World is right, you cannot summarize to a longer prefix.

The only way I see is to redistribute a static null route, as in the example below:

router eigrp 1
redistribute static
!
ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.128 Null0

Hello, if i use a null 0 static i lose connectivity to end point belongs to /25 subnet

Hello @fabriziospada ,

The only way I see is to use a secondary address but I am not able to test it now

Divide the original /24 prefix into two /25 prefixes and use secondary address for the secod subnet

at that point you can decide which of the two /25 you can advertise by applying a distribute-list on the upstream link(s) in that context you can use a prefix-list.

Being EIGRP derived from a pure DV protocol you have full control of what you send out each interface.

Warning: EIGRP neighborships can be built only on primary ip address so the proposed approach applies to end user facing VLAN/subnets.

For more complex scenario you can use a VRF, EIGRP VRF aware and by using also MP BGP you might  achieve what you want

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello

You could advertise only routes with a prefix-length of /25 within that /24 subnet

ip prefix-list VLAN permit 100.100.100.0/24 ge 25 le 25

router eigrp xxx
no auto-summary

network 100.100.100.0
disbribute-list prefix vlan out

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Where should I use this prefix-list?
Thank you

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

You can try with

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.128 vlan<nr>

where <nr> is the same number that you have your /24 configured.

/Mikael

Hello

If you just want advertise specific routes and no summary then really no need to summarise-especially with two /25 subnets -try the suggestion i posted it should provide the solution you are looking for.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card