Views
Helpful
Replies

EOL BGP Routers

tdale1987
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking to find some EOL stuff i can use to deploy as a router. I'd like to do Full BGP tables multihomed with 2 providers. I would like to have 10g and 1g interfaces. Is there anything out there that would fit the bill and not break the bank? We have IPv4 and IPv6.

Thanks,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Yes, it should work fine. I have configured BGP on the 6506(9) and it works like a charm. Also is good suggestion to have a recent IOS.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there anything out there that would fit the bill and not break the bank? We have IPv4 and IPv6.

ASR 1001-X or ASR 1002-X. 

Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers Data Sheet

Leo,

Anything cheaper than that? Looking on eb** and they are 5,xxx, is the only difference of the non-x model 2 extra SFPs? Those are only around 1,xxx. Nothing older can fit the bill? I'd like to start out with 1gbs and add 10gb in the future. Right now our WANs are 1gb each but they will end up being 10GB.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, 

Cisco equipment(s) are not cheap.  Particularly routers, you get what you paid for.  

The price of the ASR is that high because it is meant to push that huge amount of data.  ASR 1001-X is meant to push data from 2- to 20 Gbps and up to 36 Gbps for the ASR 1002-X.  

You can get 3800 or 3900 routers (cheaper because they are EoL) and they'll take SFP (but not SFP+), however, these models are not meant to push above 600 Mbps.

Leo,

What about the 7301 would that get me by on the gigabit until I can save up for a better router or no. I'm probably only going to be able to purchase something EOL at this point.

Thanks,

Tom

Leo,

Would something like this work? "CISCO WS-C6503-E Catalyst Network Switch  |SUP720-3BXL| X6704-10GE| X6724-SFP|"

I know this is a switch vs a router but the "SUP720-3BXL" is also an engine put into the 7600 series router from what ive read. So would this work for now? If not why?

Thanks!!

-Tom

Hi

Totally agree with Leo,

About the 6500 Switches, they are great devices, but they have EoL

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

I suggest evaluate the 6800 series model.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

EOL is fine to me. I just want to make sure I can buy something to hold me over until i can buy current gear. Would the 6500 config above work for full bgp on 2 carriers?

Hi

Yes, it should work fine. I have configured BGP on the 6506(9) and it works like a charm. Also is good suggestion to have a recent IOS.

Julio, 

How much memory (DRAM & Flash) are needed for two full BGP tables? 

If it's not that much then I'd recommend ME-3800X (it has two 10 Gbps interface) or a 6816-X (16 ports 1/10 Gbps).

Forget it, I just checked.  Sup720 can support one full BGP table but will grind to a halt with two (over time).

Can the bgp uplinks be plugged into the 10gig card or only into the sup720 module gigabit ports

I found out i can use any port on the unit. Thanks everyone!

In regards to Sup720, are you going to be doing NAT?

No nat just routing, it's a small datacenter environment.

What about the 7301

7300 has been EoL for a long, long time.  Not only are the software old but you're going to have difficulty trying to get TAC support.  And the most important thing of them all is SPARE PARTS.  Cisco would no longer be storing replacement parts for this.  

I understand that the issue is budget but if no one is going to cough up the dough to get the correct router then buying a router that would cr@p itself pushing 600 Mbps would be a waste of good money.  

Hi

As Leo mentioned you could consider the ASR routers, also you can verify if the 4000 series routers meet your requirements, please visit these links:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/routers/cisco-router-selector/index.html

The following link shows the modules supported by the 4000 routers. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/relevant-interfaces-and-modules.html

Hope it is useful

:-)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card