Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel bundle

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two Gig port ( each having speed of 1Gig) and i have create one etherchannel so my total speed is of etherchannel is  2Gig , now i want to send 1.5 GB traffic send, can it possible ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes and no.  If you have a single flow, it will only use a single link, so it could not exceed 1 gig.  If you had multiple flows, depending on how they hash, they can use multiple links, so 1.5 gig is possible,

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Absolutely it is possible.
You need to create Etherchannel on your switch and assign the channel-group on to the required ports

Please find the below Etherchannel config which I have in my network and running perfectly....

interface Port-channel1
switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 50
switchport mode trunk

Assign portchannel to port.....

interface GigabitEthernet3/30
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 50
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode on

Please rate the helpful posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes and no.  If you have a single flow, it will only use a single link, so it could not exceed 1 gig.  If you had multiple flows, depending on how they hash, they can use multiple links, so 1.5 gig is possible,

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

what you can do is to create a policing policy map of 700M

apply to both port0channel member ports ( physical ports and in this case the actual total will be 1.5

not sure if  your device model allow you to do policing on the port channel interface level you could try it too

HTH

Joseph... What do you mean exactly by single and multiple flow?
Marwan... Why we should use here policy map?
I am not able to get those by your possts.

It looks like the original post is for Etherchannel bundle where in a switch he have 2 gig ports each one with 1 GB capacity. He want to use 2 GB at the same time where it is possible by Etherchannel.

Like this... I have a Server with cat6 cable connected to my switch on port gi2/4 which is 1 GB capacity.
I have created Etherchannel and applied on both gi2/3 and gi2/4 so that the server can use the both ports capacity which is 2 GB to transfer data at the same time.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Please rate the helpful posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A single flow: packets/frames all with same addressing (including ports, if used).  An example would be a single FTP data transfer between two hosts.  You would not benefit from Etherchannel's additional bandwidth.

Multiple flows: packets/frames with different addressing (might just be ports, if used).  This may, or may not, take advantage of Etherchannel bandwidth.  Etherchannel hashes packet's or frame's addressing (often there's different hash algorithms that you can specify).  Hash value determines what link of Etherchannel is used for a particular flow.  For example, two FTP data transfers between same two hosts may hash to and use the same link or they might hash to and use different links.

Naidu

Just to add to Joseph's post.

Etherchannel is as much about redundant links as it is providing more bandwidth. Depending on the switch you can choose to load-balance on various things ie. mac-address, IP address, L4 ports, but not all switches support each type of load-balancing.

So from your example you where you connect a server with 2 gigabit ports into an etherchannel. Then you need to send 1.5Gbps from the server (s1)  to another server (s2)  using a copy. Lets assume the 2 servers are on the same vlan.

So the souce IP (s1 ip address)  and the destination IP (s2 ip address) are the same.

The source mac-address (s1 mac-address) and the destinaton mac (s2 mac-address) are the same.

The source port and the destination port are the same.

So etherchannel cannot send this traffic across both links. It simply chooses one of the links and sends all the traffic across that.

Now compare that with the example where s1 needs to send 750Mbps to S2 and 750Mbps to s3. Because the destination mac-address/IP address are different s1 could actually use both links to send the traffic. So s1 could send 1.5Gbps across the etherchannel.

Jon

Hi Joseph

You are correct and i also read in on book that if single flow from source to destination will not give speed more than 1Gig or port speed mean if you have single flow from source to destination  of 1.5 G then it will not give you more 1G output.

-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card