Helpful
Replies

Few BGP questions

ashah5053
Level 1
Level 1

Please help on answers for below mentioned questions

1.Can we redistribute BGP into IGP?

2.Does it require that BGP router-id should reachable in cloud?

3.If a static route is advertised in BGP without using update source what will be the next hop address in update

4.In Multihoming scenario if primary link gets fail, after how long traffic will be shifted to secondary link

5.I am receiving updates from eBGP peer, will the next hop change or not

6.I am receiving updates from iBGP peer, will the next hop change or not

1 Reply 1

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

1.Can we redistribute BGP into IGP?

You can. It basically depends on the number of prefixes to be redistributed. Normally, it is not recommended to redistribute full internet table into IGP.

2.Does it require that BGP router-id should reachable in cloud?

No. It is not required to be reachable.

3.If a static route is advertised in BGP without using update source what will be the next hop address in update

If I remember it right, it depends on who you are advertising to. If it is advertised to iBGP neighbor, it uses the nexthop as it is in RIB table. If it is without nexthop in RIB, it will set the BGP source address.

If it is advertised to eBGP neighbor, it will set it as BGP source address.

4.In Multihoming scenario if primary link gets fail, after how long traffic will be shifted to secondary link

By default, fast external failover is enabled for eBGP neighbor. So when the egress interface fails, it immediately bring down the BGP session and next best path will be selected. if you have it disabled, it wil lrely on the BGP holdtimer.

5.I am receiving updates from eBGP peer, will the next hop change or not

If you dont have any inbound policy to change the nexthop, irrespective of receiving an update from eBGP or iBGP, NH will be the one received in update. But when you advertise to eBGP neighbor, NH will be set to self by default.

6.I am receiving updates from iBGP peer, will the next hop change or not

If  you dont have any inbound policy to change the nexthop, irrespective of  receiving an update from eBGP or iBGP, NH will be the one received in  update. But when you advertise to iBGP neighbor, NH will not be changed by default.

HTH,

Nagendra

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card