Views
Helpful
Replies

Find ip address of connected device

svetoslav141
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have to find the ip of a switch that is connected to an ISR.

How can I find this ip? Right now I only have the IP if the ISR and i can only log into the ISR but i need to log into the switch.

The connection between the 2 devices is with trunk on the switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

@svetoslav141 wrote:

If this the case then i assume the interface on the ISR has sub-interfaces correct?

ISR
sh arp <interface>x/x.y
sh cdp neighbor <interface> detail | in IP

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hello

@svetoslav141 wrote:

If this the case then i assume the interface on the ISR has sub-interfaces correct?

ISR
sh arp <interface>x/x.y
sh cdp neighbor <interface> detail | in IP

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you for  the provided information it was very useful.

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Assuming the switch has an IP in a mangment VLAN and that VLAN is part of the trunk link, check the mac-address table on the ISE filtering for both the VLAN and the interface:

sh mac-address vlan <management_vlan_id> | inc <interface>

Now assuming your ISR has an IP in the management VLAN, you can then check its ARP cache and filter on the MAC address:

sh ip arp | inc <mac_address_from_previous_step>

cheers,

Seb.

The problem is that trere are a lost of IPs in the arp table and i can't ssh tonone of them

Hello

You should be able to filter on interface as shown, try those two commands i have posted, as for gaining ssh access you sure remote access is enabled for either ssh or telnet?

Kind Regards
Paul

As shown, filter out the layer2 address from the mac-address using VLAN and interface. Once you have the mac-address select it from the ARP cache.

All being well you can filter from 000's to just one entry.

@Seb Rupik 

@Seb Rupik wrote:

As shown, filter out the layer2 address from the mac-address using VLAN and interface. Once you have the mac-address select it from the ARP cache.

On a router?

Kind Regards
Paul

Ah, I am too used to play with switching modules ;)

@Seb Rupik 

TBH mate it may have sw module in so its still valid

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

Thank you for that it was really helpful.
I found the IP of the switch.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card