Views
Helpful
Replies

Flash and NVRAM??

jon_panes24
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a Cisco 7200VXR router. Currently it is always booting into rommon mode. There was an error while booting saying that the NVRAM couldnt be read because it was corrupted.

I tried removing a PCMCIA card inserted into the router and changed the confreg into 2102. It booted up without without any startup config.

My question is what is this PCMCIA card. Is this the NVRAM or Flash?

PCMCIA card specs: Sandisk PCMCIA card ata 256Mb. Really need an urgent answer on this one.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PCMCIA card is the Compact Flash card(External card) which can be used to store the config/IOS.

This card is very handy while troubleshooting the switch issue when they are in need of IOS(i.e when they want to boot from rommon especially).

HTH

Regards

Inayath

(******

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PCMCIA card is the Compact Flash card(External card) which can be used to store the config/IOS.

This card is very handy while troubleshooting the switch issue when they are in need of IOS(i.e when they want to boot from rommon especially).

HTH

Regards

Inayath

(******

Does this mean this is where i have saved my startup-config?

The answer is no.
The startup config is on the NVRAM.  you will have to manually copy it to the flash.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: