Views
Helpful
Replies

FLEXLINKS HELP

jkofosu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Does flexlinks only work when physical link goes down or how?

I have two switches with two redundant links between them. The redundant link goes through radio.

My question is that, will Flexlink detect interference on the primary link and switch over to the back up?

thanks for your help.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Joseph,

if both links are radio links this means there are boxes that have an ethernet port and a radio link : when radio has troubles the port is still up.

No STP BPDUs are exchanged on flexlinks so there is no way to guess the radio link is not working

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swflink.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Giuseppe,

Thanks for the info. Is there any layer 2 technology that can track a primary interface and then do an automatic failover?

Hello Joseph,

the only L2 tech you can use is STP, for doing so you need to configure the links without flexlinks option.

By adjusting STP costs or other parameters you can have the primary link you want.

Other possible options are present but ar layer3 and may be not available on your switches like reliable static routing

I would try with STP.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I am currently running the stp but I was thinking I could improve on my link with flexlinks.

Thanks alot for all your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card