Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay -HQ-remote offices slow connection

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

I have been given this scenario :

remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128 kbps.

users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.

What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of the problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at each site ?

I do not have router's configuration to look at it

4 Replies 4

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

It really depends on the application that is running on the WAN. What application do your user experienced slow performance ?

You can check the frame-realy interface to check is there any packet drop, BECN or FECN / congestion.

Check below for the FR troubleshooting guide, but it related to the line status more and useful to undrstand the operation.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/itg_v1/tr1918.htm

Please try to capture the "sh interface" for reference and advise what application is running.

Hope this helps.

>>It really depends on the application that is running on the WAN. What application do your user experienced slow performance ?<<

I will check that.

>>Check below for the FR troubleshooting guide, but it related to the line status more and useful to understand the operation. <<

The link that you have posted, I believe it does not troubleshoot my scenario, the reason I am saying that: is the quote below from the link that you have posted:

[quote]

The following sections cover the most common network issues in Frame Relay networks:

1- Frame Relay: Frame Relay Link Is Down

2- Frame Relay: Cannot ping Remote Router

3- Frame Relay: Cannot ping End to End

[/quote]

Non of these option are my case, because link is up and there is no problem with ping

>>Please try to capture the "sh interface" for reference and advise what application is running.<<

I will try that.

One more thing that i want to verify, does the bandwidth for the link is enough for 20 users and more ?

Even though if one of these sections (Frame Frame Relay Link Is Down,Frame Relay Cannot ping Remote Router,Frame Relay Cannot ping End to End)in the link above fits to my case , it could have been related to one of the remote site, but not all remote sites.

Because i have got problem with all remote sites, not only one of them.

As I mentioned before, the link is for your reference to understand the congetion of FR. If we do not have more info., we cannot provide suggestion to you. Slow performance may be caused by routing protocol, hardware issue, CPU loading, etc.

You can also try to search Cisco web that there are a few articles related to the performance issue.

Please provide more info. w/ network diagram, router config, interface status and running application (or what application is slow). No of users is not the major factors, if the link is overloaded but application require high bandwidth, even one user may still think it is slow.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco