Views
Helpful
Replies

frame-relay Piority Queuing

ccobtn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to configure Priority Queuing on frame-relay circuit, for example I have configured following PQ,

priority-list 4 protocol ip high tcp 8080

priority-list 4 protocol ip high tcp 443

priority-list 4 protocol ip medium tcp 23

priority-list 4 protocol ip medium tcp 8201

should it be applied on serial interface or sub-interface the reason why I’m asking this is that I enable ip accounting on the router and it seems that all ip packets are routed via sub-interface instead of physical interface.

Regards,

3 Replies 3

ggatten
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

FYI - there are really good docs on the website about this stuff. I printed out a whole folder of them - too many to list, but try this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tsd_technology_support_category_home.html

From my experience, you typically do "per PVC" QoS - which also typically means per sub-interface. Depends on your environment I guess, NBMA or point-to-point?

Also, be careful about assigning those high BW protocols - or any for that matter - to the high queue. High is used by the router for routing keep- alives, updates, etc., and you don't want those competing with http downloads and such. IMO work mostly with Medium, Normal, and low - and be very stingy with high.

HTH

Gary

Hi,

I checked above URL and most talk about bandwidth reservation or limit, what I’m looking is weather PQ is fine for traffic prioritising over frame-relay and also which interface should it applied??, I don’t want to use ip class/cir/car shaping etc. The Frame-relay connection is point-to-point link between two sites and traffic is mainly ISS sensors communication.

Regards,

AHHHHH! I had a great 5 paragraph reply typed up. Clicked on post and lost everything! POS!!!

PQ's are assigned at the main interface. "Priority-group" isn't even an option at the sub-interface level.

LLQ for FR might be a better option depending on your requirements. It allows per PVC QoS vs. per Interface QoS.

FYI: PQ (and most others) only takes effect once an interface has become "congested". No hard numbers on what "congested" is - but it's basically FIFO until some magical threshold is crossed. LLQ I THINK gets around this and does QoS on everything regardless of utilization.

HTH. Let me know what you decided to do.

Gary

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card