cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General question about iBGP between PE routers in an MPLS network.

**Hamid**
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working in a ISP company, I read that between PE routers should be always ibgp neighborship but in the Global VRF I can not see any bgp neighborship between PE routers only I can see IS-IS routing protocol.

can anyone explane me why i can not see any ibgp neighborship between PE routers in Global VRF? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @**Hamid** 

glad to her it, just remember there are various show commands to see each specific bgp peering within their related address families

However the below command should show ALL bgp peering applied to the router.

sh bgp all summary

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Check below

MHM 

I know this command, but there is not any output when I enter this command on a PE router

are you run any MPLS in PE ?
if Yes 
then it can this router is P not PE 
P dont have any ibgp with other router but it forwarding packet using GLobal routing + MPLS 

MHM

Yes, LDP is running in PE routers , for example with ""show mpls ldp neighbor"" I can see many neighbors

check my edit to previous reply
it can this router is P not PE

MHM

I found out the BGP routers now. I can see them with ""show ip bgp vpnv4 all"" command

I do not know why I could not find them with show ip bgp summary  command

Hello @**Hamid** ,

>> show ip bgp summary

this is limited to AF iPv4 unicast  i.e GRT = Global Routing Table

show ip bgp vpnv4 all summary

this is a good command to check all L3 VPN related MP BGP sessions and stats about n. of rx prefixes in the rightmost column.

Actually in a modern ISP network there can be also a lot of L2 VPN services either using VPLS (many flavors here in more advanced options MP BGP is used for peer discovery and LDP for pseudowires setup or MP BGP can be used for both discovery and LSPs setup)  or EVPN with MP BGP control plane.

So even the second command may be not enough to get all the possible MP BGP sessions.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The answer 

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/question/0D53i00000Kt03eCAB/sho-bgp-vpnv4-unicast-all-summary

It seem you need to use vpn 4 unicast all in command to show mp-bgp neighbors

MHM 

Hello

@**Hamid** wrote:

can anyone explane my why i can not see any ibgp neighborship between PE routers in Global VRF? 

What do you see when you run this command?

sh bgp vpnv4 unicast all summary

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul, 

Yes with this command i can see the BGP routes. I used wrong command in the router

Hello @**Hamid** 

glad to her it, just remember there are various show commands to see each specific bgp peering within their related address families

However the below command should show ALL bgp peering applied to the router.

sh bgp all summary

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card