Views
Helpful
Replies

Gigabit IOS Router for CCNA

fubusmaximus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm currently studying for my CCNA and I was wondering if there was a used cheap gigabit router with IOS I should look for on the secondhand market. It'd be nice because I'd have to use the knowledge I have to set up my whole house. It only needs one ethernet WAN port and one gigabit LAN port.

Also I could use 2 gigabit switches as well with at least 8 ports as well. I have a couple switches already but they don't have IOS. 

2 Replies 2

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

Gigabit ports on cisco routers are still expensive to buy even on eBay. If you want to practice you can still buy a 1841 or 2600 router cheap or use GNS3. As for the switch you can look for a 3560 or 3750 with ip base and that should help or you can get an older switch like a 3550 with the enhanced IOS for cheap. Rack rental time can work too.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I had the same idea about using this stuff at my house (it forces you to use it more), and the best option I could come up with was a 2821.  They are fairly cheap on eBay and have two gigabit ports.  They also function quite well as a Call Manager Express router, if you have any interest in voice.  Most people seem to overlook them for some reason, so they can be had for fairly cheap, although I haven't looked in a while to be honest.

Of course, gigabit WAN really doesn't matter unless your internet speed is faster then 100Mbps, but hey, I like having speed too, so I get it.

As for gigabit switches the cheapest option I could find was a 3550T-12, the only gigabit 3550 as far as I can tell.  It can be a layer 3 switch (with the right IOS, all the hardware is the same) and has 10 gigabit ports, and possibly two more if you can get one with some GBICs (gig ethernet GBICs ran me $20).

2800s and 3550s are a bit more expensive than what most people seem to recommend, but they work well, meet your requirements without being too expensive, and can easily take you up to the CCNP if that is something you are interested in.  I don't own any 2600s, but to me those are getting pretty old.

Kudos on getting real equipment too, GNS3 is great, but nothing compares to actually sitting down in front of a real router and totally blanking out on even your terminal emulator settings =)

Have fun,

Christopher Ebert - Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

CCNP, CCNA, A+, Network+

*please rate helpful posts*

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card