cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE over IPsec Tunnel

jthombs1016
Level 1
Level 1

I am facing an issue with a GRE/IPsec VPN  tunnel to a branch office where we do not control the internet circuit. 

The GRE Tunnel connects to our datacentre and users are experiencing  slow wifi speeds. The WIFI controller is in the Datacentre. If the user uses an ethernet cable then the user experience improves.

My Question is can the tunnel interface speed be changed? We are receiving  500mbps from the ISP.

Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 10.08.46.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

--> The GRE Tunnel connects to our datacentre and users are experiencing slow wifi speeds

It is unclear what is causing the slow speed, and if the users in the data centre or the users in the branch office are experiencing the problem. If a user connecting with an Ethernet cable has no problem, then the issue is likely the WiFi.

On a GRE/IPSec tunnel, changing the MTU size often increases the throughput. Try the values below:

interface Tunnel0

ip mtu 1400

ip tcp adjust-mss 1360

View solution in original post

Sorry for being unclear. Its the users in the  branch office experiencing the problem

Thanks I will try it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

--> The GRE Tunnel connects to our datacentre and users are experiencing slow wifi speeds

It is unclear what is causing the slow speed, and if the users in the data centre or the users in the branch office are experiencing the problem. If a user connecting with an Ethernet cable has no problem, then the issue is likely the WiFi.

On a GRE/IPSec tunnel, changing the MTU size often increases the throughput. Try the values below:

interface Tunnel0

ip mtu 1400

ip tcp adjust-mss 1360

Sorry for being unclear. Its the users in the  branch office experiencing the problem

Thanks I will try it.

Hello,

to be honest, if the users in the branch office are fine when they use an Ethernet cable, changing the settings on the tunnel might not help much. What is the topology in the branch office, what devices are used ? It is probably better to look there...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card