Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE Tunnel Maximum Bandwidth

masoodst123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I Have a Cisco Router and a 6506 Switche which are interconnected through GRE and EIGRP, using only 2M CAT6 cable, but when i do IPERF bandwidth test between two computers one is connected to 6509 and one is connected to my router, the bandwidth test shows only 8Mbps throughput, is there any way to increase the amount of bandwidth between two computers.

Regards

9 Replies 9

Hello
The reason why tunnel interfaces have such a low BW is to make that tunnel less preferred to routing protocols.

When you have tunnel interface it very possible to initiate recursive routing ( that is the path to the tunnel destination is via the tunnel itself) and this is easily done because a tunnel - tunnel connection is seen as only 1 hop count away from each other but the underlying physical path could be multiple hops away so to the routing protocols the tunnel path is deemed a better path, that why is the interface Bw is very low it will have a much higher interface cost and can assist in making the tunnel a less preferred option in routing.

So if you increase the tunnels interface BW you need to make sure this change doesn't adversely effect your overall routing

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you paul, so what is the best practice, how to use tunnel interfaces while utilizing the optimum througput available on physical link?

Hello

You can set the tunnel BW to the same of its related physical interface Bw but just beware of what could occur after the such change as I stated previously.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul, i have already changed the bandwidth value to 100mbps, but still when i do iperf bandwidth test , it shows only 8mbps. 

Hello

Changing any interface BW doesn't change the actual interface BW as i stated previously is only changes the routing cost of that interface.

Kind Regards
Paul

Sir, i need a solution, so i could reach 100mbps throughput on the link.

Hello

@masoodst123 wrote:

Sir, i need a solution, so i could reach 100mbps throughput on the link.

Do you have other options following the BW command under the tunnel interface?
int tun xx
bandwidth inherit xxxx
bandwidth receive xxxx

What ios feature set are you using?.

Kind Regards
Paul

thanks, by changing the MTU size, the throughput size increased.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What model router?

With GRE tunnels, you might be fragmenting maximum size packets. For TCP, this can be mitigated by using the TCP adjust-mss interface, (Reduce MSS by 24 bytes.)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco