cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE Tunnel not Working

ciscp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm new at networking and I was task to configure 6to4 GRE tunnel. I researched the internet, but I could not make it work. I can't ping the Loopback from router 1 to router 2 using the tunnel. Guys please help me.

This is where I referred to: IPv6 over IPv4 GRE with IPSec (networklessons.com)

I did not include the IPsec configuration because I only need the tunnel. Thank you for all of your time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

this is definitely a flaw in Packet Tracer, at least in the version I am using (7.3.1.). I tried your exact same configuration in GNS3, and it works right away.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hello,

are you trying to do this in Packet Tracer ? If so, post the zipped project (.pkt) file.

Yes. Here is my file.

Hello,

this is definitely a flaw in Packet Tracer, at least in the version I am using (7.3.1.). I tried your exact same configuration in GNS3, and it works right away.

Yeah but I need this in packet tracer because of requirements. And also I do not know how to use GNS3. For some reason, I don't have Router in there.

Hello,

I tried different PT versions, different IPv6 routing protocols, but the only way I get this to work is when the physical interfaces are configured for IPv6 as well (see file attached). I am pretty sure it is a flaw in Packet Tracer.

But if I ever go with, is this still considered a 6to4 GRE tunneling? Because to be honest, I'm running out of options haha. This is the first time I handle IPv6 that's why I'm not familiar with it. Thanks

Hello,

I would think it is, because the source and destination of the tunnels are still IPv4 interfaces and IP addresses.

OK thank you so much for your time

Use same config but

ping with source “which is ipv6”

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: