cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE Tunnel streams

wwwlstr0707
Level 1
Level 1

This is very high level, wanting to know if this is possible.  We're the middle man.  I don't have access to or knowledge of equipment or configs on the other providers.  Currently we are handed off a GRE tunnel to a router.  We have an ipsec tunnel to another location, over a 50Mbps ethernet link from a local ISP, to another router at another location.  It works.   Like I mentioned, very high level.

We are at capacity on that 50Meg link.  We want a 200Meg link, we can't get that but they can give is four 50Mbps links and I've been tasked with "load balancing" it.  I put a wan switch in front of the routers, configured a four port Port-Channel, data still flows.  But monitoring the ports in the port channel you can see a single link is being utilized, if you shut that port it immediately starts flowing over another, so the port channel is working and failover works.  But the powers that be see this as a fail because we need to "load balance" over these 4 ports and have data passing over each individual link for this to be a success

First question, is there even a better way to do this, take the hand off from the other provider and "load balance" across 4 links we are given, knowing that hand off is a GRE tunnel?

Second question, if we're ultimately after a 200Meg link do we just fight that fight until we get it because that's the only way this will work?

Third question, more just on GRE that I'm not quite understanding...since the Port channel is sending that data over a single physical link in the port channel, does a GRE tunnel create just a single TCP conversation?  I've gone through several of the port channel load balancing algorithms and the result is just the same...

Looking for ideas or things to try or ammunition to argue with, so thoughts are welcome...and yes I realize this ask is a bit out of the norm, lol

29 Replies 29

@wwwlstr0707 wrote:

Interestingly the wan switch is a 9300

ip load-sharing per-packet is not an option in interface config mode, but globally i can enter

ip cef load-sharing algorithm

And show ip cef shows entries....

How's the interface defined/configured?

What's the specific device model and running IOS?

BTW, I was just looking at CEF options in CML and found, at least in later IOS-XE versions, a new DPI (deep packet inspection - see Load Balancing Application Flows Using Deep Packet Inspection Algorithm) has been added to CEF hashing.  This seems specifically designed to "see" within tunneled packets to try to separate encapsulated flows so they can be better distributed by CEF across ECMP.  I suspect your switch might not support this option, but if it did, it would be a better (?) alternative to per-packet load sharing.

I've also been looking over MLPoE, but unclear it can performed without "users" and/or whether it could handle 200 Mbps (and whether a switch would even support it - keep in mind, switches tend to be feature poor compared to routers - but, of course, they can often move a lot, lot more bits for the same price).

The switch is a 9300 running 17.1.1 which is older I know so I thought that might be the issue but it’s iOS XE and the latest version just shows the same. I defaulted the interfaces too to test but that’s the limit of the command. I can set the load share algorithm to tunnel globally but that’s about it. 

EDIT. looking at your link above for dpi and it references ver 16 and I think I see the issue I’m not on the same page. That config is for the port channel. After it appeared a port channel wasn’t the answer I ripped it out. I’m gonna look deeper at this config using a port channel and test…

Edit 2: (deep packet inspection - see Load Balancing Application Flows Using Deep Packet Inspection Algorithm

I see this in the literature and it makes sense, but that command definitely does not exist in global config mode, in the portchannel config or the interfaces...on the IOSXE i'm running.  And each time try to do a search for an equivalent doc under 17.x.x i get a "Search is currently unavailable due to technical issues. We are working to resolve the problem as quickly as possible." error from Cisco.  I'm very close to the point of pushing back on the other vendor now. At lease with this thread I can probably get one of their engineers to take an interest

Problem might be, feature not supported on a switch.

You mentioned the 9300 is in front of a router?  If so, model of router and free ports?  (BTW, routers can usually do port channels too.)

Well I looked at a router, with a universalk9 bin file and the dpi command is there. So it’s either a router/switch difference or a k9 vs ipbase thing. Either way it’s a stopping point…the wrong license or the wrong hardware to accomplish this.  This now becomes a finance decision. A million thanks tho!

Hello @wwwlstr0707 ,

this DPI for load balancing is an advanced feature that requires high level of flexibility that can be achieved on software based routers but it is really difficult to implement on hardware based platforms like switches in your case Cat9300. So my guess is that this is not a question of license level rather a platform functional limit.

As I have noted your best move is to get an high speed link like 250 Mbps.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Yeah that’s a goal for me, one larger link it’s just there’s other vendors involved and ummmm those pesky politics but thanks a bunch for the explanation too!

Very, very likely a switch vs. router difference, for the reasons @Giuseppe Larosa describes.

Again, though, does this gets its traffic from an upstream router?  If so, reason for using switch?

Simply the switch provides the necessary port density for the port channel. And it was the knee jerk response, and it didn’t work out of the gate and here we are. lol. 
Sounds like the resolution, if a single larger link doesn’t pan out, is a router upgrade. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipswitch_cef/configuration/xe-16-7/isw-cef-xe-16-7-book/isw-cef-ecmp-loadbalance-with-tunnel-visibility.html

since GRE source abd destiantion is same and also GRE protocol then ECMP use same path always 

Check tunnel visibility feature which make device check inner IP/L4 port

MHM

Just a side note, @MHM Cisco World reference is the same feature, DPI, my previous reply references.  However, his reference is to an earlier IOS release which doesn't also note a possibly VERY CRITICAL (for OP case) feature noted in my reference, tunnel-less support!  I.e. impacts port-channel (Etherchannel hashing) distribution!

This feature, if your platform supports, may easily mitigate your issue, at least for your egress traffic.

For ingress traffic (return traffic), as @Giuseppe Larosa earlier noted, this, or other approaches, require other side configuration changes too.  However, you should be able to use this feature, for your egress traffic, without any changes being needed on the other side.

wwwlstr0707
Level 1
Level 1

WOW! I hit the goldmine with you guys. Let me pour through all this and test some stuff and report back probably Tuesday. Thank you so much!

To recap your possible options, you could obtain a higher bandwidth link.  As @Giuseppe Larosa earlier described, that would be about your best option for bandwidth (and/or least complexity).  The only major disadvantage is it's a single point of failure.

Obtaining maxium advantage of multiple links' bandwidth can run into many snags, a major one, is the one you've described, individual flows usually being limited to using just one link, in your case, it's the worst case as a tunnel is generally seen as a single flow.

However, most multi link technologies don't dynamically select links based on individual current link utilization.  For example, dual links usually don't effectively provide twice the bandwidth, they average about a 50% increase.

Technologies such as Cisco's PfR (which can perform dynamic load distribution) or per-packet routing, MLPPP or hardware mux come much closer to obtaining all available bandwidth, but some lose some bandwidth to their own embedded control data (also more impactful as packet size decreases).

Regardless of whether you have a single high bandwidth link multiple lessor bandwidth links, other considerations impact how well you leverage your WAN bandwidth.

As you're tunneling, you should insure you're not fragmenting packets.

Assuming your 50 Mbps links are higher bandwidth Ethernet ports, you should shape to avoid your WAN provider dropping some of your traffic "invisible" to you.

If your shaping shows congestion, you might consider QoS to manage such congestion.  (Ideally, if you can, enabling FQ often makes apps work "better" across such congestion.)

Can you check if your platform cef support universal ID or not ?

MHM

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, taking a completely different tack, "We are at capacity on that 50Meg link.", how so?  I.e. how exactly did you reach that conclusion?

I ask, because sometimes a QoS policy can much better leverage actual bandwidth.  Much depends on the traffic mix crossing a link and actual service levels needs for different kinds of traffic.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card