Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE Tunnel

saquib.tandel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

GRE Over IPSEC is configured on a point-to-point link. What is the maximum bandwidth supported by GRE Tunnel.

The point-to-point link is 10MB, can I limit the transmit and receive bandwidth on the GRE Tunnel.

The Router is C3845-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(9)T7

Thanks

ST

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi ST

GRE tunnel is just a logical tunnel created on top of the physical link/transport. It all depends on how much bandwidth you have on your physical link.

From my experience i have seen GRE working on 10Mbps link without any issues and even being planned on a 15Mbps link.

So i dont think you will have any probs with having GRE over IPSEC on a 10Mbps link.

regds

Thanks Prem

NMS needs bandwidth command in the Tunnel configuration.How does this "Bandwidth" command influence the tunnel.

Can I restrict the Tunnel to transmit or receive more than 5MB

Example :

interface tunnel 5

bandwidth 50000

thanks

ST

Hi ST

I dont think you can restrict the bandwidth on the tunnel interface by using bandwidth command. Its important to make sure that your nms gives you proper utilization report and also if its part of routing protocol the path is preferred based on the bandwidth parameter.

If you want to restrict the bandwidth you can make use of rate limit commands on the serial interface. if you want to make sure that your tunnel uses upto 5Mbps then you can create an access-list matching both the source and destination of the tunnel ends. Once you are done wiht the same attach the ACL to an rate-limit command and limit the bandwith to 5Mbps so that your tunnel doesnt use more than 5Mbps

regds

Hi Prem

Can you help with config on creating an ACL and applying the rate limit command

A-----------------------------B

A tunnel interface ip 172.20.2.1 255.255.255.252

B tunnel interface ip 172.20.2.2 255.255.255.252

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card