cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guarentee bandwidth for inbound web requests

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have seen posts about trying to configure QoS on inbound Internet traffic to throttle bandwidth for certain traffic while guarenteeing for other.

QoS cannot be applied effectively inbound on the ASA interface, and I was wondering if I am missing something, but,

It seems I could configure a policy and apply it out bound on the etherent interface of my edge router?

Inbound web traffic accessing certain web servers can be guranteed a certain about of bandwidth with a CBWFQ policy.

9Meg Internet access on the serial interface and 100Mbps ethernet on the same LAN as ASA outside interface, apply policy outbound on ethernet befiore it gets to the ASA.

Am I missing something in my thinking?

4 Replies 4

Manish Naik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Wilson,

If i have understood this correctly,  you the following setup

Lan-----ASA------outside-------rtr----internet

If this is the case then yes you can match on port 80/443 and destined to your web server and apply the QoS policy outbound towards the ASA.

Manish.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Richard,

>> 9Meg Internet access on the serial interface and 100Mbps ethernet on the same LAN as ASA outside interface, apply policy outbound on ethernet befiore it gets to the ASA.

Am I missing something in my thinking?

that the most precious bandwidth is that on the serial link. There is little value on giving priority to some flows on the 100 Mbps link as the issues are caused by the WAN link.

The other side of the link is managed by your upstream provider and it should be this one to apply an outbound QoS policy to give better treatment to some of your servers over other traffic

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe,

My provider wants more money and I will have to move from the existing link to one that supports their QoS implemnetation.

I was looking for a cheaper and less intrusive solution (Not have to change the links).

I figured that if I take into account that the serial interface is a little less than  10% of the ethernet interface and adust the policy accordingly, that it would be better than nothing.

Your saying, no help at all?

This will not Achieve anything since you wont have any control on what traffic is hitting your edge router. Because this decision of QoS is made after the traffic already hits your router( consuming the serial int BW).

You will never run out of Bw on the ASA side in this scenario. So the only option you have is to Ask the ISP to do the QoS for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card