cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GUI support

ichigo1661
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning to purchase an old router which is Cisco 837-K9-64 router. I'm kind of newbie to cisco and planning to take CCNA course.

-May I know whether this router support GUI mode via http or not? I'm planning to use GUI mode just to verify my command and maybe to reset the router to default in case i mess up lots of thing in the router later.

-Is it ok for me to get this router to study my CCNA or maybe you can suggest me what model should i purchase for the study. I just need a cheap cisco router for DSL since i'm just planning to use and study it at home.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Mohd,

The 837 router does support SDM but requires the following IOS:

• 12.2(13)ZH or later

• 12.3(2)T or later

This router will be a good start to get familiar with the Cisco CLI for your CCNA.

HTH,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Wondering whether I should get this model(837) or 851W/871W which has the support for SDM? The reason i need the SDM is just to check the command from the SDM because I believe they have option to view the command via the GUI before it saved to the router. So that I can enter the command using cisco IOS.

Anyway, i'm not sure whether it works with our local ISP or not. I'm from Malaysia. My broadband line is using the dynamic ip because it just a home line.

Anyone knows where i can get cheap price for used 851W/871W. Have look around ebay US but most of them dont ship to our country. I heard can get around usd 250 for 851w model but dont know where reliable place to get that. Amazon is more expensive.

If i purchased 837 model. Is it easy to reset back to factory default mode. Cause from the 851W model, i can see there is option for me to get reset to default using the SDM interface. I just afraid that i will mess up a lot of thing when learning to use the command.

I think that getting a 851/871 would be beneficial over the 837. I would recommend the 871 because it is capable of running the advanced IP services IOS. This could come into play if you are going for CCNP/CCSP studies in the future. You could try to find one on ebay or something like that but there are no guarantees if you go that route.

I believe that you will have the same SDM functionality with the 837 router that you would with the 851/871 models.

Mark

Thanks Mark. you're very helpful. Will try to find used one in ebay...Thanks again for ur suggestion. I appreciate much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card