cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hard Loop And Bert Testing Through GNS3?

Daniel Mckibbin
Level 1
Level 1

I want to try to simulate Hard Loop and Bert Testing through GNS3 if possible. I have a quite a nice home lab, but none of my routers have T1 cards and I want to set up ATM IMA bundles, Multilinks and if possible Extended Ping Loop Tests and Bert Testing. Is there something similar to a super looper in GNS3? Would I use an ordinary straight through cable for these T1 cards? How would I simulate loop tests of the WIC. What about simulating tests from the WIC to the smart jack? Does GNS3 offer external CSU/DSU's that can be used to  simulate a scenario where the CSU/DSU is not built into the WIC?

Additonally would anyone be able to draw a diagram of what this would look like if this were done at a site to verify CPE? By this I mean, If a super looper is used is the cabling straight through, without a super looper would a crossover cable  be used? When testing the WIC with both methods, where would both ends of the cable be connected to? What about when testing the smart jack to the WIC card?

A few more questions about  T1 cards. With two remote sites with a dedicated T1. Each WIC would be connected to a CSU/DSU which in turn would be connected to the smart jack correct. What about in a lab environment if they were back to back? How would an ISP be simulated between them?

Thanks,

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dan,

I think you need a real router to perform this kind of tests

GNS3 is good for testing  a routing design with different protocols and route-maps but for OSI Layer 1

>> What about in a lab environment if they were back to back? How would an ISP be simulated between them?

a special cross-over cable can be used for back to back connection and one side has to be configured to act as the ISDN network side

see

http://www.t-radtalk.com/howto/how_to_make_a_t1_cross_over.htm

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dan,

I think you need a real router to perform this kind of tests

GNS3 is good for testing  a routing design with different protocols and route-maps but for OSI Layer 1

>> What about in a lab environment if they were back to back? How would an ISP be simulated between them?

a special cross-over cable can be used for back to back connection and one side has to be configured to act as the ISDN network side

see

http://www.t-radtalk.com/howto/how_to_make_a_t1_cross_over.htm

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you Sir,

I guess I have some T1 cards to invest in.Studying Cisco Networking sure gets expensive. Good thing I enjoy it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card