Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware Needed for Cisco 2911 as a console server

Lovleen Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We need to setup Cisco 2911 router as a console server for OOB (Out of band) connectivity to console of each DC device (upto 20 devices) Could someone please respond to the following questions we had:

1. What interface module can we install on the 2911 ISR for this purpose?

2. What cable (part number please) will go to the that 2911-ISR interface slot and then we can connect the consoel ports of out network devices to that cable.

It needs to be something similar to the cisco octal cable which I know we used for Cisco 2500 series for console purposes to other devices. But not sure about Cisco 2911.

I would highly appreciate your information and help.

Thanks

Lovleen

1 Reply 1

steinmannb
Level 1
Level 1

You would need an interface providing asynchronous serial ports. Something like the HWIC-8A or the HWIC-16A. Needing 20 ports you will most likely use one of each type (having then 24 ports).

The cable to connect to the HWIC is the CAB-HD8-ASYNC. If you attach routers and switches console ports directly to the RJ45 plugs everything is fine. If you have other types of serial ports to serve (DB-9 or DB-25) then you need the according adapters. I don't know if they have product numbers...

Or to have it all on one single PDF follow this link

BR

Björn

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card