Views
Helpful
Replies

Help Extending Vlans across Wan

scanpatton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I primarily deal with security at my company but have been tasked with a routing/switching issue that is starting to give me a headache.

I have a remote site that I need to connect back to the corporate network across a wan, (the wan will be a dedicated link through the ISPs network)

We have a number of vlans at the corporate end (eg voice, data, sales, management etc) and would like to extend this vlan configuration at the remote site

The edge routers I have are 2811 and 1841 base editions (c2800nm-ipbase-mz.124-22.T.bin) and they do not support MPLS or l2tpv3 as far as i can see.

The other option I am messing with is a GRE tunnel which is working until I connect the remote site in and then routing goes down. I'm assuming this is caused by the fact there are two routes available to the same subnet.

So I thought I'd chance throwing it out there to see if anybody had any ideas/experience with something like this or could suggest a possible workaround i might try

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Niall

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It does not make sense to extend VLAS (bridging) over WAN. and it's poor netowrking practice.

Use regular routing and verything will for strong and reliably according to best practices.

If your manager don;t agrre, direct them to an expereinced certified network engineer for design advice.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card