Views
Helpful
Replies

Help on TCP-RST I from outside

rdenney
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've been getting some alerts from an ASA indicating TCP Reset-I from outside.

Example log:

Teardown TCP connection ######### for outside: 106.75.227[.]154/42982 to identity:192.168.x.x/443 duration 0:00:01 bytes 4200 TCP Reset-I from outside.

I am aware that Reset-I indicates the connection being reset/dropped from inside. My question is, is this an error with the logging format or has anyone seen a "tcp reset-i from outside" before? I can't seem to find anybody who has had this issue.

Thanks

Edit: the actual "identity" IP is not a typical private IP (10.0.0.0, 192.168.0.0, etc)

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

TCP Reset-I
Means the connection was reset from the interface with the higher security level. Usually the inside interface. Normally this means an application layer issues.

check the Logs on this server :192.168.x.x/443 (what ever real one who sending this  ? ) is this working internally ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your response. So just to clarify, Reset-i from outside indicates an application layer issue? I've only ever seen Reset-i from identity/inside etc. I am confused why it saying the connection was reset from the inside from the outside (essentially). 

Thanks

Depends on your envrionment wherre source and destination resides, so check as suggested and Logs,

use packet tracer get more visibility.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card