Views
Helpful
Replies

[Help please] Cannot ping PCs across routers

CyberAira
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am new to packet tracer and I am trying to ping PC A to PC B with no success. They can ping correctly within the same network like PC B to Switch B but cannot get across the routers (etc. ping PC B to Router A fails vice versa).

I set the default gateway for all of the config to be 166.1.10.10 and I have attached my pkt file here just in case anyone wants to open it up.

Packet tracer file

p.s I would like to be able to use crossover cable instead of serial for ROUTER A to ROUTER B if it is still possible

fdc9c823e77cc48e5f6cdb15ae3274d3.png

Thanks in advance! :)

4 Replies 4

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have packet tracert but you could verify:

- The routers limit the broadcast domain, so your computers should have different Default gateway, for example:

166.1.1.1 (for PC A)

166.1.2.1 (for PC B)

This gateways must be configured on the specific router facing to the switches where the computer A or B is connected. 

- In order to enable the communication between the computers you need a routing protocol like RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS or use static routing. 

For testing you could configure the following on the routers:

router ospf 100

network 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 area 0

- Remember use a network between the routers it will work like a bridge to pass routing information between them, the suggestion is use network /30 por example: x.x.x.x/30

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hey,

firstly thanks for the reply.

I tried to change the gateways but it still isn't working. I do not quite understand 'In order to enable the communication between the computers you need a routing protocol like RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IS-IS or use static routing.' but I assigned my configurations with static IP addresses if that is what it means.

Thank you again anyways, appreciate it!

Hi

You are welcome, could you please share the configuration of the devices into a notepad or word file?

Thank you in advance. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello,

is this what you are asking for?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card