cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help, wap access point ping?

CSCERT4
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys, i am a student doing cyber security and i have some questions.

i have attached the packet tracer file and it is configured

i usually have a real class to go to but due to the corona virus everything has been pushed to remote learning and this has been a real problem as my instructor is someone with a strong accent and does not like to explain anything.

We are allowed to ask our other students any questions for anything we are encouraged to do this for teamwork etc but i have had trouble with the way some of the tests and questions are put together.

any help would be great.

so yesterday the teacher put together this WAP network and there is some questions. which i think i know some of the answers for already

To verify that you been able to successful, connect the devices inside the virtualised tool, use the key TCP/IP protocol ICMP command known as ping to test end to end connectivity and insert a screenshot of the successful result. If the result is unsuccessful trouble shoot to rectify the problem. first ping did not work but then it discovered that side of the network and it worked, so i didnt have to troubleshoot anything?

Regardless if the ping command is successful or not, what troubleshooting methodology could be deployed to rectify the fault? i do not understand because i didnt have to troubleshoot anything? is this talking about tracert from one laptop to the other?

Explain why the original ping was unsuccessful? because that part of the network was not known, because it is on another access point

What did you have to change to obtain a successful ping response?  nothing wtf?

Please attach a screen shot of the topology being implemented in packet tracer and a screen shot of the successful ping result from either laptop 0 or laptop1: i just pinged the other computer?

Any help would be great. im just a little confused about the logic behind these questions. maybe im just getting this all wrong?

am i able to upload the packet tracer file? this is my first post and im not sure how this forum works sorry!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

if you do the job right the from the start, there should be no need for troubleshooting would there?

if it does not work,  you need to go back on your steps to check what in the complete configuration (multiple components i presume) works as planned and what does not.

so do not be alarmed by the other questions, seems you did it right and it worked.
but the question is hypothetically, what if…. what steps can you think of to isolate and correct the problem.
- is the source connected to the network (wired/wireless)
- does the source has the expected ip-adress
- is the default-gateway correctly configured
- etc... (your job to complete this list)

as for ping be aware of difference between Layer2 and layer3 communication.

you test with tcp/ip protocol (Layer-3). Over ethernet it first needs to get the hardware MAC-address of the device that is  using this IP-address. The ARP-protocol is used to get the mapping between IP-address and MAC address..

PLUS there may be multiple devices in the path between ping source and  ping destination.

if there is a router in this path the sender needs to ARP the router, and the router needs to ARP the destination.

So the first ping(s) may timeout before all necessary MAC-adresses in the path are known and the packet can be sent over Layer-2 to the destination.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

if you do the job right the from the start, there should be no need for troubleshooting would there?

if it does not work,  you need to go back on your steps to check what in the complete configuration (multiple components i presume) works as planned and what does not.

so do not be alarmed by the other questions, seems you did it right and it worked.
but the question is hypothetically, what if…. what steps can you think of to isolate and correct the problem.
- is the source connected to the network (wired/wireless)
- does the source has the expected ip-adress
- is the default-gateway correctly configured
- etc... (your job to complete this list)

as for ping be aware of difference between Layer2 and layer3 communication.

you test with tcp/ip protocol (Layer-3). Over ethernet it first needs to get the hardware MAC-address of the device that is  using this IP-address. The ARP-protocol is used to get the mapping between IP-address and MAC address..

PLUS there may be multiple devices in the path between ping source and  ping destination.

if there is a router in this path the sender needs to ARP the router, and the router needs to ARP the destination.

So the first ping(s) may timeout before all necessary MAC-adresses in the path are known and the packet can be sent over Layer-2 to the destination.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card