cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with a Cisco Aironet 1242AG

Borgrimm1
Level 1
Level 1

Alright. So I want to start out by saying I only have what I consider to be basic networking knowledge. I've recently obtained a Cisco Aironet 1242AG WAP. I do realize this is not a standalone router. I would like to use it as an extension of my current router. So right now, the status light is alternating colors. If I understand this correctly, it cannot find the controller. I cannot telnet into it, or use the web broswer interface. They both say the connection is not available. However, when I check my DHCP table from my router, I see that an IP has been assigned to the MAC for the WAP. I've tried doing a factory reset by holding MODE before I plug in the power, and waiting until it turns amber. After a few minutes and going through a few LED changes, it goes back to continuosly alternating colors.

I'm really not sure where to go from here. Please help.

Thanks,

Kris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The radios won't enable without an ssid attached to them. You'll need to create your ssid and then attach to the radio interface. Assign an address to the bvi and set a default gateway on the device and you should be able to bring it up.

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Borgrimm1
Level 1
Level 1

Oh, and my current setup would be Cable Modem > Router > WAP.

If you have a CCO account, you *may* be able to download the IOS for the AP that allows you to turn it into an autonomous AP (no WLC needed). Can you console into the AP with a console cable? If so, you should reboot it while consoled in and see if you can get to a prompt. Do a "sh version" and look for the IOS version. If it has "LAP" in the version, it's in LWAP mode and you'll need an IOS image that lets you turn it into autonomous mode. You also should be able to look on the AP for a model number on the bottom of the unit. If it has LAP, then it was shipped as LWAP and it's looking for a controller.

HTH,

John

I do not have one of those on me right now, but I do work in a help desk, and I do know we have some extras laying around. For the time being I think I may have made some progress. Someone I used to work with said I needed to convert from lightweight to autonomous by flashing the firmware. So I used a TFTP server and followed a basic guide to load said firmware. I rebooted the AP and help mode until it accepted the image. Now the status light is a solid green, the radio is blinking red, and the ethernet light is a solid green. However, I cannot access it from the broswer. Do I pretty much have to do it through a console cable?

Edit: Forgot to mention, it is a LAP.

You can do it through a console cable, but if I remember right I believe the address defaults to 10.0.0.1. You should be able to put yourself in that subnet and be able to get to it through the browser...

HTH,

John

Forgive me for not understanding, but how exactly would I put myself in the subnet? I'm guessing that would be under my adapter settings, but what information would I put in?

Yes, under your adapter settings, try:

IP address: 10.0.0.20

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

no default gateway needed.

See if you can ping 10.0.0.1 after putting these settings in. If you can, then open a web browser and you should be able to get into the gui...

Alright. That did not work. I think I may have not installed the firmware correctly. Let me describe my exact process for that:

I'm using SolarWind TFTP. I place c1240-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEA3 in the root folder. I rename it to c1240-k9w7-tar.default. I start the service. I then assign my static IP to 10.0.0.20. I then reboot the AP while holding MODE. The status light turns a purpleish color. I release MODE. After a few seconds it reboots with all three lights turning solid green. The status light then turns white. Then it goes back to solid green with the radio blinking red and the ethernet staying solid green.

I'm not entirely sure this is exactly how it is supposed to go. More than likely, I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: I also make sure the TFTP timeout is 30 seconds.

Another edit: It seems like I may need a service contract for the specific one I need.      

Don't look at the light.  Look at the console.  You should see a line in the words like "mode button depressed.  Waiting for release".  This is the time you let go of the button.

There's my issue right now, I don't have a console cable. As I mentioned above, I work for a help desk right now so I should be able to grab one tomorrow.

I'm agree with Leo on this...you're going to need a console cable to be able to see anything. If setting your address didn't allow you to be able to ping it, it's very possible that the ios update didn't complete/take.

Generally, you use archive when updating an AP. Here's a link describing that:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00809f0e94.shtml#task2

Even if you have an LWAP, you should still be able to get to a console and update the ios with the above method.

Alright. Thanks again for the help. I've actually learned a bit more about this stuff than I ever thought I would already. I'll have a status update tomorrow once I get home from work.

I was able to figure it out finally. I used the Cisco TFTP instead of SolarWind. That was my issue. Cisco also updates the log dynamically, so I was able to see the firmware installation as it went.

However, now I have another issue. My two radios will not enable.

I am now able to telnet in or use the Web based GUI.

Edit: After playing around further, I have solved my own issue. Thanks for the assistance guys. This computer science major is one step closer to being useful! haha

The radios won't enable without an ssid attached to them. You'll need to create your ssid and then attach to the radio interface. Assign an address to the bvi and set a default gateway on the device and you should be able to bring it up.

My two radios will not enable.

How are you powering up the WAP?

What do you mean "not enable"?  Is it in "reset" mode?

What is the output to the "sh logs"?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card