Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with GRE and VIRTUAL-TEMPLATE

Hi All,

I have an issue with EIGRP with R-1 having a number of routes that must be summarised with different policies to it neighbours.

Neighbours are R-2,R-3 and R-4, but not on the main interface.

Leaving me with only option to create a virtual-template. Unfortunately virtual-template always read down when i do "Show int Virtual-template XX"

Had a similar experience with GRE tunnel. Trust me guys!!! the configs are okay because when the problem errupted i checked with a solution of a workbook. The only difference was my int was down.

Please help!!!!!

Olu

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Olu,

you have not provided enough information in order to be helped.

Generally speaking:

we don't see a direct relationship between GRE tunnels and virtual-templates

And it is normal to see a virtual-template down because it is a logical interface used for deriving virtual-access objects used with PPP or L2TPv2 for example.

I understand you would like to send different sets of routes to different neighbors.

EIGRP allows to use ip eigrp summary-address on a per interface basis.

So one way to achieve what you want is to use 3 point-to-point GRE tunnels and to build EIGRP neighborships over them rather then the common LAN segment (so you passive the physical interface under router eigrp process)

In this way you have the capability to:

use different sets of summary address per GRE tunnel interface

you can also use distribute-list out referring to each specific GRE tunnel under router eigrp process.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card