cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with IP Scheme

chueymtz
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to plan out my network expansion, we currently have 2 Vlans 172.16.x.x/23 and 10.76.x.x/24 but i'm looking to add more one for wifi and one for cameras. I'm not sure what ip schemes to use for these though. I was going to use 192.168.x.x but that is assigned to my firewalls internally to communicate with each other.  

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

172.16.x.x  - you can use same private IP address range - next available subnets, if the requirement is high and  these are RFC 1918 address, use /22 or more keeping in mind future requirement.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @chueymtz 

One option could be to use a completely different private IP range, such as 10.0.0.0/8, which provides a large address space for your new VLANs. You can then allocate different subnets within this range for your WiFi and camera VLANs.

For example, you could use 10.100.0.0/24 for your WiFi VLAN and 10.200.0.0/24 for your camera VLAN. This would give you plenty of addresses for both VLANs and avoid conflicts with your existing IP ranges.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

You can use 192.168.x+1,x
since the network is different there is no any issue 

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not understand this statement " I was going to use 192.168.x.x but that is assigned to my firewalls internally to communicate with each other." 192.168.x.x are class C networks and there are 256 separate networks using that prefix. Certainly the firewalls are not using all of that address space.

On the other hand there is a single subnet configured using 10.x.x.x. It would be easy to use 10.100.100.x/24 for wifi and use 10.200.200.x/24 for cameras.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card