Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with routing on 2514

rstringer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am a IOS beginner and I recently purchased a 2514 from EBAY. I would like to deploy it on my Windows-based home network. Would simply like to route between 2 network segments but don't know how. Can anyone help me with the configuration? I don't think it matters, but the router will sit behind a DSL router to the Internet. Must be able to reach the Internet from either segment.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

If You config your interfaces like this, and add a default route to Your DSL router ip. Then you could connect to internet from both of your networks.

And Yes, the router routes between interfaces by default.

router>en

router#conf t

router(config)#interface e0

router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.x 55.255.255.0

router(config-if)#exit

router(config)#interface e1

router(config-if)#ip address (second network)

router(config-if)#exit

router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

router(config)#exit

router#wr mem

Done

Regards Tony

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hello Rich,

basically, you could connect one of the Ethernet ports to your local LAN and configure secondary IP addressing on that interface, this would make routing between your two network segments possible. The other Ethernet port needs to be connected to your DSL router (the 2514 does not support PPPoE).

Does that make sense ? Let me know if you need help with the configuration details...

Regards,

GP

Hello GP,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I very much would like the config details. You actually mentioned my 2nd planned config option, that is connected the router directly to the DSL router.

Also, I know that PPPoE is point-to-point over Ethernet, but could you explain exactly what that is?

Thanks,

Rich

Hello,

with regard to the configuration of the Ethernet interface connecting to your LAN, it would look like this (the IP addresses used here are arbitrary and might be different from what you are actually using):

interface Ethernet0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

The hosts connected to that interface now can belong to either one of those networks (just make sure that they have their respective default gateway set correctly, that is, hosts from network 192.168.1.0/24 use the 192.168.1.1 address as their default gateway, while hosts form the network 172.16.1.0/24 would use 172.16.1.1 as their default gateway.

As to PPPoE (or PPPoA), these are the (typical) ways your providers terminate the DSL conection to you. It basically means that you run PPP over Ethernet (or ATM), which provides authentication and authorization.

As stated, you will need to connect the second Ethernet port to the LAN port of the device that terminates your DSL. Can you say which brand/model that device is ?

Regards,

GP

Ok, so this is basically what I'll do:

Telnet to the router

switch to the enable / Config t mode

Indicate that I'm configuring interface E0

Set the IP config. (address and subnet mask)

At this point, I'm wondering/confused. Why do I set this first interface with a second IP address for a different subnet? With regard with physical connectivity, I have 2 mini-switches. I thought 1 switch for each subnet, but with 2 subnets for 1 2514 interface, I'm confused.

The DSL router that I have is a 2Wire HomePortal. By default, when using DHCP, it assigns addresses in the 192.168.1.0/24. The router itself is always 192.168.1.254.

So, I connect the ethernet port from the Internet router directly to one of the 2514 Ethernet interfaces? Assuming that I do, will I assign that interface a 192.168.1.0/24 IP configuation?

I think this basically gives me the setup which you originally indicated.

For my original plan however, the 2514 would not connect directly to the internet router. My internal network would have 2 subnets with the router connected to my 2 mini-switches on each subnet. In this scenerio, E0 would get 192.168.1.0/24 address. E1 then could be the 127.16.1.0/24 that you proposed. Config the interfaces as described earlier. Would I have to do anything else to route between the subnets or does the 2514 somehow automatically route between them by default?

Thanks,

Rich

Hello Rich,

understood, I thought you wanted to place the router between your internal network and the DSL router. If you would want to do that, configure the Ethernet interface of the 2514 connecting to the DSL router with the command ´ip address DHCP´, the DSL router will just assign a free address, this avoids having IP address conflicts.

If you just want to connect your two subnets using the 2514, you are rght, just put an IP address of the respective subnet on the interfaces, and this will be the default gateway for the clients from these subnets. For connectivity between the subnets, you do not need to do anything else, the routing will work automatically, since both networks are directly connected.

About configuring the router:

Telnet to the router

switch to the enable / Config t mode

Indicate that I'm configuring interface E0

Set the IP config. (address and subnet mask)

That is right...but you can only TELNET to the router if it already has an IP address assigned to an interface, otherwise you have to connect through the console port, using a rollover cable (pins 1 thru 8 reversed).

HTH,

GP

I think I am set now. I am sending you a Word document with a visio diagram embedded to verify we have everything understood.

Thank you very much.

Rich

Hello,

If You config your interfaces like this, and add a default route to Your DSL router ip. Then you could connect to internet from both of your networks.

And Yes, the router routes between interfaces by default.

router>en

router#conf t

router(config)#interface e0

router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.x 55.255.255.0

router(config-if)#exit

router(config)#interface e1

router(config-if)#ip address (second network)

router(config-if)#exit

router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

router(config)#exit

router#wr mem

Done

Regards Tony

Tony,

This is great!

Many thanks,

Rich

Your´e welcome.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card