cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with System Logs on Cisco Router

ulrichkenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

First Off: If I am in the wrong area, Please let me know.

Issue: I am trying to dig up Cisco commands, but the Cisco Help Sites, Googe, Yahoo, and other types of resources cannot give me the answer I've been looking for.

Router: Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G1) processor (revision C) with 983040K/65536K bytes of memory.

My question is nice and simple: I need to pull the Interface History off one of our routers and not being in the Cisco field for a couple years is stopping me from finding the command. If I can find a command that pulls a full history that would be great.

The commands I've used:

history

show history

car1.ash#sh interfaces se1/0/23:0 history
                                  ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

car1.ash#show interface se1/0/23:0 history 60min
                                   ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I need to find the command that gives the following type of logs:

00:00:46: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Port-channel1, changed state to up
 00:00:47: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/1, changed state to up
 00:00:47: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/2, changed state to up
 00:00:48: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to down 
 00:00:48: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/1, changed 
state to down 2 *Mar  1 18:46:11: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty2 
(10.34.195.36)
 18:47:02: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty2 (10.34.195.36)
 *Mar  1 18:48:50.483 UTC: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty2 (10.34.195.36) 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you are looking for is not available using show interface commands but would be available using show log command. You would want some thing that might look like this

show log | include 1/0/23:0

Note that this is looking through the logging buffer on the router. The amount of memory allocated to the logging buffer and the volume of messages being generated will determine how far back you can go. If the router is sending its syslog messages to a syslog server (or to some other management device that archives the messages) then you may be able to search the logs there and to go further back. Note also that the content of the logging buffer is erased when the router reloads.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you are looking for is not available using show interface commands but would be available using show log command. You would want some thing that might look like this

show log | include 1/0/23:0

Note that this is looking through the logging buffer on the router. The amount of memory allocated to the logging buffer and the volume of messages being generated will determine how far back you can go. If the router is sending its syslog messages to a syslog server (or to some other management device that archives the messages) then you may be able to search the logs there and to go further back. Note also that the content of the logging buffer is erased when the router reloads.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you Richard Burts. I knew it was show something, and my mind kept drifting towards show interface lol. What I get for not having equipment to play around with.

I know that Cisco has some kind of online interactive tool for all the commands, but every time I try I can't get access(I guess because I'm not a customer since I don't own any Cisco products).

I am glad that my answer pointed you in the right direction. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. This makes it easier for other readers in the forum to identify discussions which have helpful information. This forum is an excellent source of information and I hope that you will continue to be active in it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: