cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

history of Access control?

tbeersma69
Level 1
Level 1

hi i was wondering when Access control list were created? i have tried looking online without any success. i have tried looking up acl history but that a command used in creating acl. i have tried using different search terms but cant seem to find the info i am looking for. i was curious when acl started being used and who came up with the idea for acl? i have found plenty of information about acl just not it history.

i think that they are very useful for security purposes. i am doing a paper for my networking class on acl.

i understand that acl is used by different network brands, its just weird that i cant find history information on it!

any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Tom

3 Replies 3

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Tom,

please see if this link will help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list

please rate if this helps.

cheers

i am looking for info on networking acl. using acl on routers and possibly layer 3 switches!

already checked wikipedia does not have the info i am looking for. most sites i have checked talked about the different level of acl that could be applied on routers / switches. they also talked about how to configure acl and gave examples.

what i am looking for is info as to when network acl  was created and by who (person, organization, school, government). i dont think acl existed with early computers or computer networks. there were not major security risks back then.

Thanks!

Tom

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card