cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I delay a floating static?

Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a router connected to an MPLS network as a primary and then using ISDN back up with floating statics. The thing is that our MPLS network is a bit unstable at the moment and a little flap on the MPLS links generates a couple of ISDN calls. I have been asked to implement a delay so that the ISDN backup will dial only after one minute of disconnection from the MPLS. I know this can be done using backup interface on a serial link, however, I'm using floating statics as I need to run a routing protocol over the ISDN when it's up. I have done the following but it's not working. Any ideas?

!

track 10 interface Serial0/0/0 line-protocol

delay down 60

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.22.82.1 220 track 10

Here, the route points to the other side of my ISDN interface. The ISDN works and it dops when the MPLS comes back up, the problem is that ISDN dials out in 15 seconds or less instead of waiting for 60 seconds.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Alain Moretti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

did you try this command :

!

int s0/0

carrier-delay down 60

!

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I feel your configuration is incorrect as the following route is active till Ser0/0/0 is UP (MPLS link is up). You are tracking Ser0/0 line protocol so this floating static route is active till Ser0/0/0 is active. So, I suspect this behavior for your findings.

1. Floating static route is active

2. Ser0/0/0 went down so the dynamic routes gone immediately

3. Track object waits 60 secs to communicate the same to IP Routing tracking to make the floating static "down"

4. Meanwhile, the interesting traffic matches to the active floating static route and so dials out the ISDN.

Can you please diagnose with "sh track 10" and "sh ip route track-table" to see the behavior when MPLS is up and down?

Regards...

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card