Views
Helpful
Replies

how can i use static route in BGP

supremetreves
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Any one can help me using static route in BGP. I have a two isp connected in one router and giving connectivity to my remote location. I had configured one ISP as priamry by Route Map preferece and so failover is working fine. I want to configure a static default route at my client location so that when my primary link is up my all internet traffic must come through my secondary link and i tried the same but it didn't work can any help me in this ??

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sandeep

1 Reply 1

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Sandeep,

Your requirement is not so clear to me. I guess you want to utilize the backup ISP link for incoming traffic to your client location.

All inbound traffic depends upon your BGP network advertisements.

So, you need to have a dedicated Public registered network (/24 at minimum) assigned to your remote location so that you can advertise this network through backup AS with higher preference (like no AS-path prepend through backup ISP and AS path prepend for the same network through primary ISP). Please note that advertising /24 network will not work if any upperstream ISPs are aggregating the customer routes to reduce the entries in BGP database but I have seen /24 subnets as well in BGP routes from several providers.

Regards...

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card