cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how do i configure multiple static routes...

kelloggs4life
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I know i have done this before, but i am having challenges configuring multiple static routes on a router for failover purposes.

I have a a branch network that with some specific branches being able to connect directly to our HQ out of the country while the others connect through one of the branches with the direct link. I want to create failover links to those branches without the direct link to the HQ such that when their link to the HO is no longer available through the particular branch office, they get cut over to another branch office with the same access as the main.

We are on a wide area IP network from a service provider who have put us on a VLAN on their fibre network.

17 Replies 17

Hi Rick/Mo',

Thanks again for your contributions. I sure will give both options a try and definately get back to you in due course.

I am reading up on Static Routes with Object Tracking at the moment.

But with regards the SLA config that you stated here Mo', what does the timeout command imply? Is it complete by just putting in

timeout 1000 > 5000

frequency 3 > 60

Are these two commands OK as above? If so or not, can u briefly guide as to the implications of having lower or higher values?

With reference to your earlier posts, i believe the following commands will also be applied:

ip sla monitor schedule 113 start-time now

track 13 rtr 113

track 3 list boolean and object 13 not

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 track 3

Please let me know if any of the above commands are incorrect.

1 more thing, you were saying I had to configure same on the router on the other end?

Is this still the case here?

Regards

Femi

Hi Femi,

You are very welcomed, yes you'll need the following:

ip sla monitor 113

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho

timeout 1000

frequency 3

ip sla monitor schedule 113 start-time now

!

track 13 rtr 113

!

track 3 list boolean and

object 13 not

!

As for these commands:

timeout 1000

frequency 3

They mean try 3 ICMP echoes with timeout 1 second, the reason i recommended these values is to fast reflect the failure as the default values are frequency = 60 and timeout = 5000(msec) which won't reflect the failure as fast as required.

Static routing must be accomplished on both ends (as routing is a bidirectional process), and thus you must make sure that the packets can go and come back over the path.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi Mo',

I guess the command below configures static routing on the remote router already:

!

I believe implies the next hop router IP that is contacted in the case of a failure of the link to the main router. Also, I guess there is no need to increase the AD on this route since it is using SLA?

But to configure static routes on the destination/backup router may not be needed as the destination router also runs on OSPF and is part of the enterprise wide network hence automatic routing should be done without necessarily adding any more static routes. But if you think this will still not work, then i guess i will configure a static route with a higher AD on the destination router as well.

I tried a basic static route config on the remote router to a backup router and then shut down the main router just to test, I didnt get the desired result, some applications worked while others didnt. Although, this was just achieved by adding secondary IP on remote router's WAN interface and also adding a static route pointing to another router that could route to the desired destination. This router of cos is on the same WAN with an IP on the same range as the secondary IP configured on the remote router.

So to achieve the static route config on the next hop router, the route must have a higher AD so as not to conflict with the main route in the case the main link is still available?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card