cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How Do I Get a Switch to Choose the Correct IOS Between Two IOS Images at Boot Time?

Musole2013
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Gurus,

I blundered today. I loaded a working IOS I use on 3750 switches on a 3750x switch. I was trying to test this IOS on the 3750x. To force it to prefer the added IOS to the one the switch shipped with, I specified and saved in the startup config the IOS to use by running the boot system flash command.

Now for the poser. The IOS is clearly incompatible. The switch is respectfully telling me that the IOS it's trying to load does not support the hardware on the switch. 

How do I regain access to the switch? Both images are OK (i.e. not corrupt) but the switch is choosing the image it can't use because I told it to! I forgot to include the "in-built" IOS among the images it should use in case the added IOS fails. 

Will I need to use xModem? Or is there another way that someone on this forum would recommend or has used before?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,l

if you still have the older image on the switch, you can enter in ROMmon mode and force it to boot from the older image.

Otherwise you can get a correct image via TFTP in the ROMmon mode as well. Check the link below:

https://mangattu.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/rommon-recovery-of-3750-x-switch/

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you can get into ROMMOM mode, I think you may be able to delete the undesired image.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,l

if you still have the older image on the switch, you can enter in ROMmon mode and force it to boot from the older image.

Otherwise you can get a correct image via TFTP in the ROMmon mode as well. Check the link below:

https://mangattu.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/rommon-recovery-of-3750-x-switch/

Thanks @Norberto and @Joseph. Below is the process I followed:

• I interrupted the boot sequence by using the mode button right at the front of the switch.
  • I deleted the undesired flash by entering the command delete flash:<ios_name>
  • I entered the command boot and watched with glee as the switch booted with the remaining IOS.

Thanks again.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you can get into ROMMOM mode, I think you may be able to delete the undesired image.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card