cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check internet leased line speed connected to cisco router.

abhisar patil
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We have 7Mbps internet leased line connected to cisco router. I want to check and confirm that we are getting 7Mbps speed.

What to do to check the same?Any command will help me or any software need to install?

Thanks,

Abhisar.

15 Replies 15

ciscoben2009
Level 1
Level 1

speedtest.net is a good place or downloading a service pack from microsoft will give you a good idea of download speed

we have a 100MB line here and pull around 9MB/sec here

Thanks ben for your reply..

I am checking on speedtest from last few days, but results are ont stable..sometimes its 9Mbps and sometimes 5Mbps and uploading speed is not more than 1Mbps..and also I am downloading 1 file with the speed of 55Kbps..

So ant other way to check? Also can you please mention the name of the microsoft tool u mentioned in the reply.

Abhisar.

Where are you downloading the file from? I normally download a service pack from Microsoft’s website as well almost always get good speed

What is you leased line delivered as?

Hi Abhisar,

I would suggest you to use tool "iperf" to check the available bandwidth.
And alternately you can check speedtest.net, this may not give you the accurate results but the above one which is "iperf" will give you the correct details because I have tested it in my network and confirmed.

The below is the good link for your reference about iperf how to use and all
http://openmaniak.com/iperf.php

Hope this helps you.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Any fool proof CHECK POINTS, to safeguard my self from ISP by his FAKE COMMITMENTS, I M USING 1:1 Leased Line or NOT , ie I M PAYING FOR WHAT I M GETTING in terms of INTERNET SPEED AND BANDWIDTH, CONNECTIVITY

Aravind K.J
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Abhisar patil ,

Try doing FTP upload/download from the head end and try to find out whether you are able to utilize the full bandwidth.

or

Try this testing bandwidth software called IPerf.
http://linhost.info/2010/02/iperf-on-windows/

or

There are many monitoring tools in the Internet to check the bandwidth utilization like mrtg,prtg, cacti etc (most of them are freeware),

P.S :  Please mark this thread as answered if you feel your query is resolved.  Do rate helpful posts.

With Regards,

Aravind K.J

Dear All,

I am trying with ipref and jpref..but not able to run successfully...will let you know if it works..

Abhisar.

Hi,

Yes a FTP test also could give you best results rather than other tools.

Because recently I have tested a available bandwidth with FTP and the results would should like the attached one..

Please rate the helpfull posts.

REgards,

Naidu.

esomarriba
Level 5
Level 5

If you have the budget, get SolarWinds Toolset Eng Edition. They have great tools! Use the guagues tool and check your b/w in realtime (ok! it's not real-time, it has a 3-sec delay, but it's an awesome tool! to have) HTH, Elyinn.-

I would say use multiple FTP streams and sum all of them up.

Speedtest and other speed measuring sites are usually used for testing speeds for asynchronous lines and the results may not always be accurate.

abhisar patil
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to all for your reply..

I am trying with some applications available free on the internet, will reply if successful..

Abhisar.

Any fool proof CHECK POINTS, to safeguard my self from ISP by his FAKE COMMITMENTS, I M USING 1:1 Leased Line or NOT , ie I M PAYING FOR WHAT I M GETTING in terms of INTERNET SPEED AND BANDWIDTH, CONNECTIVITY

You can simply do that speed test using iperf try downloading the software in the link given below.

https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php#windows

Install the software first. 

Then use below page to see the steps. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2408/

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The best way I've found to confirm a link's bandwidth capacity is to use a traffic generator tool that generates UDP traffic at some defined rate. You set the rate at what the supported bandwidth should be, or a bit more. Then you measure whether the other side "sees" the expected bandwidth. Using UDP also negates the need for a receiving host.

Personally I used to use (the free) PCATTCP, but I don't believe it's still available. Some other free tools might also offer a UDP bandwidth test.

BTW, the trouble with using TCP for bandwidth testing, its bandwidth can vary for many reasons. Of course, if you're trying to confirm maximum TCP performance . . .

Also keep in mind such bandwidth capacity tests can be very detrimental to other traffic unless you have a QoS policy that supports some form of scavenger class the bandwidth test traffic can use. (NB: such a QoS policy still allows an accurate bandwidth test using UDP, if you measure the aggregate bandwidth consumption of all traffic being received.)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card