Helpful
Replies

How to configure HSRP?

Soon Kwan Kwon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I must configure HSRP like below.

Below diagram is a part of mine that I plan to deal with.

As you know, upper network diagram is weird because we originally connect SW1 - SW2 each other.

However, I mustn't connect SW1-SW2.

In this circumstance, how can I configure it?

standby redirect advertisement

standby redirect unknown

Maybe this commands helps this circumstance?..

Regards,

SK.

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You can still configure HSRP but if you don't give either switch another physical path its not going to work  at user level as it wont be able to send traffic anywhere , there needs to be a redundant physical path for users to get to the other router , i.e if R2 link fails or the actual router fails how would traffic get to the other router without a physical path ?

why can you not connect the 2 switches together ?  you could set the cost of stp at 5000 on each side of the link between sw1 & sw2 so it only comes into effect when there is a failure and its the only viable path left

The other way is if the routers have switching modules like hwic themselves you could connect the switches to each router individually

Thank you mark.

To tell the truth, SW1, SW2 are Firewall.

and the link Firewall-Firewall only use for HA packets.

Could you recommend me the method?

Thank you again

Regards,

SK.

Oh ok that's a bit different alright , what's behind these firewalls is there any more switches , you could pull back the HSRP behind the firewalls and use ip sla tracking to monitor the upstream links then if an issue occurs you can fail over there on LAN side instead of the routers using HSRP

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card