cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to create a BVI interface on 6500

philipsyao
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody knows how to create a BVI interface on 6509? I tried, but couldn't make it. there is no BVI option in interface configuration mode.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

qiang

I do not believe that BVI is supported on the 6509. And I am not sure why you are trying to use it. The purpose of BVI is to implement IRB where you need to move packets from a routed interface to a bridged interface. On a router you need the BVI to be a point of transition from the routed environment to the bridged environment. But on the 6500 you create bridged environments within the VLAN and you configure SVIs (interface VLAN) as the transition point between routed environments and bridged environments. Therefore there is no need for BVI on the 6500.

Perhaps if you tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish we can help show you how it can be done.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

We now have a Passport from Nortel to aggregate some T1 frame relay traffics from different DSL sites and forward these traffic to a 7206VXR using a DS3 HSSI interface. Since the Passport is obsolete and expensive to maintain, I'm trying to move these to a 6509 platform, because the load to this 6509 is very low and we happen to have spare Flex-WAN module WS-6182-2PA and a PA-MC-T3 installed on it.

Let me make myself clearer:

The curren case(On 7206): Every HSSI subinterface is configured as a member of Bridge-Group 1. Then I can configure the IP address, ACL and whatever on the BVI interface. The customer will get the IP address from the local DHCP pool.

Planned Case(On 6509): We will get rid of the Passport and have a T1-->T3 MUX to aggregate the T1s and have the Channelized T3 on 6509. The question is: without the BVI, should I configure every T1 interface individully for the same ACL and assign a dedicated DHCP pool for each one?

Thanks in advance.

qiang

I think there is a solution for the IP address and for DHCP: configure interface loopbackX with the address that you would have put on the BVI, and configure all subinterfaces of the T3 with ip unnumbered loopbackX. This will use a common address for all interfaces as the BVI did and will allow the remotes to get addresses from the DHCP pool as they have done. I am not sure what alternative works best for ACL.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agree with Rick on this.Integrated routing and bridging (IRB) and concurrent routing and bridging (CRB) have deliberately been disabled on the Catalyst 6500 series switches. Layer 2 VLANs and VLAN interfaces should be used for normal bridging and interVLAN routing.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_8_1/ol_4563.htm#wp220918

HTH,

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card