Views
Helpful
Replies

How to do LFI (QoS) on a 256kbps 'ethernet' link

etamminga
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

How can I implement LFI functionality on a IOS router when the uplink is an Ethernet port? The uplink connects to a satellite modem that offers 256Kbps up/down. We need LFI for our voice.

Regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

7 Replies 7

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Erik,

AFAIK, you can only configure LFI on Frame Relay, ATM, MLP interfaces, so it's not possible in your case. What's the problem that you're having?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi,

Voice quality! The link is used for all kinds of traffic and we need voice to continue whatever happens. Now due to the serialization delay on the sat link, voice gets very bad jitter, delay and even drops calls every now and then.

I would like to do proper qos on my router but cannot do LFI because the link is Ethernet/ip. Any clever options available to use ppp over this link so we can use LFI? We have control over the devices at both ends of the link except for the sat equipment.

Regards,

Erik

What does your qos policy look like now?

Well it's just a basic LLQ for voice and a BW reservation for signaling (MQC).

.... and all shaped to match the uplink speeds

I don't think any qos policy is going to help in this situation though. The inherent delay that you're going to get from satellite is really too great to have good voip quality. If you have other options for a better circuit, I'd recommend you looking into them.

Well, the actual rtt/delay isn't the problem. And the link quality is okay, it's just the mix of traffic that causes he problem.

And, ... there are no other options available at sea

Regards,

Erik

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card