cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to find ip addresses of all interfaces of a router from another router?

Majid Jalinousi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm new admin for a network with tow 7606 router. I can connect to one of these routers through ssh from my computer but I can't connect to another router through ip address of connected link between tow routers, and I think it's cause of there is no route from my computer to ip address of connected link between tow routers. There is OSPF routing between tow router too and I can ping ip address of connected link from first router.

My question is how can I find IP addresses of all interfaces (either physical or loopback) on the second router for checking, to which interfaces of that router I have route in the connectable router? Is there any solution?

6 Replies 6

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

you can do all the show commands but it might not lead you to anything.

you should check your documentations and review the running-config on the second router (via console) on why you can't connect to the second router. perhaps it might not be setup for SSH yet. have you tried telnet?

another thing to check is for ACL on the vty lines on the second router.

A post in this discussion has been removed due to possible misconduct. Please refer to the CSC terms of use for more details.

eabrodriguez
Level 1
Level 1

Use the following command: 

sh ip interface brief

it will show you all ip address configure on all interfaces. 

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

why don't you Telnet or ssh from the first router to the second one?

Then you could run 

sh ip int bri

to check the IP addresses configured on the second router.

Don't forget to check 

sh ip route x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x is your PC IP address. 

It's possible the router doesn't know how to route back to your PC.

Best regards,

Milan

lakshman.yvv
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You can only get all interface address if the address are advertised to your router.But most of the time it is not the case. 

I am sure you found your answer. However try this too.

Once you are in your router, do show ip int brief, once you have output, do show ip arp. 

This will give you all the ip address of other devices which are connected to your router. 

From your interface output compare the arp table you should find a network address in same rage as in your router interface address. Example if your router interface is 172.16.9.10, in your arp table you will find address 172.16.9.11 or 172.16.9.9. Also another check is both the address in arp table will be learnt from same interface. 

Then ssh to second router and do show ip int brief. 

Regards,

Lakshman

sergiudaniluk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

According to what you said, there are two possible solutions:

1. The one that I said before: ssh to the first router and from there ssh to the second router.

2. If you indeed are runing OSPF on both routers you only have to ssh on the first router and there you execute the folowing comands:

•     show ip ospf neighbor - here you are looking for the router ID of the second router (the one you want to see the interfaces ) - let say it is 2.2.2.2
  •     show ip ospf database router 2.2.2.2 - here you are looking for
    • Link connected to: a Transit Network. OR
    • Link connected to: a Stub Network

These are the interfaces/networks connected to your router (of course, the one that are enabled in OSPF).

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Sergiu

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card