cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to force FE port to get protocol down

Pawel Lenart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm doing some testing with HSRP. It's working very well when I shut down interfaces but I wanted to test it on Link State (Protocol) level as well. Does enyone know how I can bring link state (protocol) layer down but keep physical (Status) up?

16 Replies 16

handoko wiyanto
Level 3
Level 3

hi Pawel,

try to unplug the cable.

regards,

Hi, if I unplug it I will have both down + I'm using GNS3

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Pawel,

Hardcode the duplex mode on both sides and then Change the Duplex mode on one. OR change the encapsulation method.

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Duplex is not working and encapsulation option is not available.

how about a no ip address.

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Tried. Nothing.

oh. youre doing it on GNS3.

well, for me, if HSRP in GNS3 is working by shutting down the interface, it will also work in real network if the cable is unplugged.

then you only need to tune your hsrp config with your time sensitive application thats running on your network.

I know it will work on the readl network but they problem I have is that I'm based in UK. Most connection here are running on ADSL. I can replicate cable unplug but on using FE and GNS3 but I want to test if it's working when link state is down (cable still plugged in but router lost IP address).

btw, have you test using keepalive?

i mean, one interface using keepalive lets say for 5 second, and the other interface using no keepalive.

regards,

Still nothing.

Pawel,

I guess what you are trying to achieve is a simulation of stress test to plan a real production network. why do you use simulations then? get a Lab time n go over it all. at the end simulators doesnt give you accurate results anyway.

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

You are right. I'm trying new solution for production environment but I need to use simulation as I don't have 2 ADSL lines so I can't test it. The only environment I have is production or simulation (which is not really a simulation as GNS3 is using real IOS).

where there are limitted options for you to test and is based on a software, we call it simulation. besides there are real racks out there which you could rent and use remotely (real hardware, real ios, real connections) you simply telnet to them and do your config with about 10 routers and switches connected in different ways.

I suggest you look some rack rental offers, as it is more viable and real.

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

OK, thanks for info

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card