Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Increase Latency p2p

Dear,

Thanks in advance.

I want to increase the latency of a sub-interface p2p IP and other services running through this VLAN.

Example:

Sub interface VLAN ID: 100 ( Te0/1/0/1.100)

Current Usage: 100Mb

Current latency 1ms at p2p and other services 20/30/...
Now I apply policy-map this sub-interface into 50Mb.

Now my requirement is when this sub-interface usage full then increases latency on p2p (1ms+100ms=101ms) and other services ( 20/30+100ms=120/130ms). 

IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO CISCO ASR 9006 IOS XR.?

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame Master Hall of Fame Master
Hall of Fame Master

Hello Nazim,

no you cannot increase laterncy of a fixed value with QoS

Using shaping at 50 Mbps and allocating software based queues for each traffic class,  your traffic will be delayed = stored in SW based queues so that it can be sent respecting the shaper rate , but the amount of delay is variable and depends on how traffic arrives on the interface.

The objective of shaping is to respect the shaping rate and not to add a fixed delay to each packet.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear Giuseppe,

Thanks for your reply.

is there any other command/way to increase latency without policy-map?  no need for fixed latency. But increase some latency.

Thanks

Thanks

Hello Nazim,

no there is no way to add a delay even variable to packets . The main reason is that the router tries to forward the packets as soon as possible,

In the past I have used a WAN emulator to emulate the delay of a satellite link.

It was a software installed on a PC with two NICs and I could add 500 msec delay to each packet entering NIC1 and exiting on NIC2.

The company name was SHUNRA that in 2014 had been acquired by HP. I was not able to understand if their product is still available or not.

Look for "WAN emulator software"

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers