cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to join two subnets into one network?

ccrank
Level 1
Level 1

I have one router configured with two gateways 192.168.5.1 and 192.168.1.1, I need to combine these to form one network and then apply static routing to the new network(network 3). Finally I must configure NAT so that there is communication between all. I am a student and we are permitted to reach out for help from the networking community. I'm not looking for all the answers, just a push in the right direction. Should I remove one gateway and use it for network 3 and then bridge the two switches of subnet 1 and 2? Or is this when supernetting comes into play? I tried to upload the packet tracer, but it's not supported. I really want to get this with as little help as possible, but I am struggling here. 

I have added a zip file with packet tracer and instructions that I am trying to implement.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I am not sure I understand the IP addressing you have used in Network 3. The devices have IP addresses in the 192.168.11.0/24 range, but their default gateway is 20.0.0.2, which is the serial interface ? The interface these hosts are connected to on the router is FastEthernet0/0 with IP address 192.168.10.1/24. This needs to be the default gateway, and the clients need to be in that range as well. NAT between both networks can then be configured fairly simply.

I have changed the DHCP scope on the server, and added the NAT config. Review the attached file.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hello,

you can upload the Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file, but you need to zip it first.

Ok, Thank you Georg, I have zipped up the file and a short list of what I am trying to implement.

Chris

Hello,

--> New IP configuration that combines Subnet1 and Subnet2 into NetworkA
--> Class C network

There is no way to 'combine' the existing networks 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.5.0/24 into one, class C network. Bridging is not supported on your router. Are you allowed to add hardware (a switch in your case, between the host in the existing networks, and the router ?

Hello and thanks for your reply. Yes, I may do anything that I want as long as the requirements are meet. I do not understand why they are asking me to combine these two subnets if this is not possible. I feel as if I am not understanding something. If they can not be "combined, do I just get rid of one of the subnets and put all the hardware from subnet 2 on subnet 1?

I'm open to any ideas you may have.

I realize these are novice questions, I appreciate your time.

Could I place a switch after the router, use 192.168.1.0/24 as Network A, but with VLANS to separate the networks. Then use 192.168.2.0/24 for Network 3?

Hello,

Vlans are essentially the same as subnets. Apparently you are only allowed one network. I cannot figure out what they want. Can you ask for clarification from whoever gave you the instructions ?

Here are some hints I just received, this is confusing, but I think I am getting it. I'm not quite sure about the NAT yet.

You need to reconfigure the connections within network A to all be on one switch
When you do this, you need to update the IP address to be in one or the other network, so 192.168.1.x with x being anything between 2-254, and not already used.
Be sure to update the router port connection (Hint: this should be one connection in the network A to be either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.5.1.
Router (Router
Need to add IP address to the router port Se2/0  (This should be similar to the subnet router on port Se3/0)  So 20.0.0.2 Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
While configuring the IP address click CLI tab and type no shutdown
On Port fa0/0 you need to ensure the IP address of the port is configured to be 192.168.10.1
While configuring the IP address click CLI tab and type no shutdown
Under the router config, click Static, You will need to create a static route Network: 192.168.1.0 Mask: 255.255.255.0 Next Hop 20.0.0.1
While on Subnet Router
Under the router config, click Static, You will need to create a static route Network: 192.168.10.0 Mask: 255.255.255.0 Next Hop 20.0.0.2

Hello,

that's better. I think what they want is what I put together in the attached file (saved in version 7.3.1., make sure you run that version).

Hello Georg,

Thank you for your help, I see what you did here and this does work. I wanted to show you what I ended up submitting. The only problem is I could not get NAT configured properly. In my network I should be able to ping from network A to network 3 using NAT, but I could not get this to work. I configured static Nat on the router labeled server and I believe it is working properly. For the second router(subnet router) I wasn't sure if I should be using dynamic NAT or PAT(overload). 

Hello,

I am not sure I understand the IP addressing you have used in Network 3. The devices have IP addresses in the 192.168.11.0/24 range, but their default gateway is 20.0.0.2, which is the serial interface ? The interface these hosts are connected to on the router is FastEthernet0/0 with IP address 192.168.10.1/24. This needs to be the default gateway, and the clients need to be in that range as well. NAT between both networks can then be configured fairly simply.

I have changed the DHCP scope on the server, and added the NAT config. Review the attached file.

Hi Georg,

This works perfectly. I am not sure what the 20.0.0.2 is for, this is how it was configured from the instructor. I don't understand why there is even an ip address configured for Se3 if it is not being used. Since the server had this as the preconfigured address, I thought that I was supposed to somehow make this work. I have already submitted the assignment, which is ok, I'm more concerned with learning how to properly configure networks than getting a perfect grade. 

We covered a lot of material in a short 8 week class, so to say the least it has been overwhelming. 

I have a stack of cisco routers and switches and I'm looking for labs that I can do at home to learn with them..any ideas?

Thank you very much for all your time and help, I greatly appreciate this!

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card