Views
Helpful
Replies

how to Manipulate Geolocation

jeffkim.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 5 locations in Europe. They are all in each different country.

It is hup and spoke design. 

Let's say I am trying to reach espn.com

If traffic coming from Spain (spoke) egresses out to Germany (hub), how can I let espn know I am coming from Spain not Germany?

Thank you,

6 Replies 6

Hello,

I assume you want users coming from specific locations to be redirected automatically to the subsite in their own language ? I don't think you can do this in IOS. The only address ESPN sees is the public IP address your hub uses for NAT. That IP address belongs to a geographic area, and that is usually where you are being redirected...

yes pretty much.

How about if I obtain five /24 public IP address subnets and register it with each countries?

For example, I own

1.0.0.0/24 - register with Spain

2.0.0.0/24 - register with Germany

3.0.0.0/24 - Portugal

If traffic is coming from Spain LAN, then PAT'd to 1.0.0.1 and goes out from Germany location where Cisco ASA, Firepower, ASR routers are located.

Trying to avoid purchase Cisco ASA Firepower, etc at all locations.

Thank you,

No (legal) ISP will be able to give you an address from another region. Better (or worse for you), the IP address from let's say region Spain will not even be routed to let's say Germany. Your only option is to get local Internet access in each country.

I own provider independent CIDR space. 

I am not leasing it from the ISP.

I have my own CIDR space totally independent from the ISP.

Your ISP can agree that they will form BGP peering with your ASN and route my provider independent CIDR block.

That's what I am trying to do and I was wondering if anyone has done it.

Hello,

it used to be that rules regarding IANA address space assignments were pretty rigid. Maybe that has changed...

in the link below, you can check which country has which IP address blocks assigned.

https://www.nirsoft.net/countryip/

Then, use the IP address space you have given with a BGP looking glass such as the one below and check where that is currently being routed.

http://www.cogentco.com/en/network/looking-glass

thank you for your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card