Views
Helpful
Replies

How to share Internet Between branches through MPLS Link

asadgulzar90
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are using MPLS link without internet for the connectivity of our branches. For internet we have separate line from ISP. But now one of our branch internet is not working, i want to share my HQ internet with that branch through MPLS link, Please guide me how to do that.

connectivity is like, 
in each branch 1 cisco router called gateway is connected to ISP Line for internet. and 1 cisco router called VPN router connected to MPLS line, both VPN and Gateway router are connected into a small business switch.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You would need to further describe your routing topology, but likely you would need both your HQ and branch ISP connections to advertise a default for Internet bound traffic. You would, I assume, want the local branch default to have a better metric than the HQ default (to the branch), so that if the branch ISP connection is working, branch Internet traffic uses it. However, if the branch Internet connection fails, then the branch default should be withdrawn so that the HQ default takes over.

Note - during a switch from branch to HQ, or back, likely any active Internet flows will fail.

I agree with Joseph that it would be helpful if we knew more about your environment. Based on the limited information provided I am assuming that it is not feasible to advertise a default route from HQ (how would you direct that route advertisement to one branch but not to others?). And I am assuming that you are looking more at a temporary work around rather than something that you would implement permanently. In that case my suggestion is to configure a GRE tunnel from HQ to that branch. At the Branch Internet router configure a static default route pointing toward the GRE tunnel. When the Internet access is restored just remove the static default rote and the GRE tunnel.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card