Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP between Cisco 4321 and Cisco 887VA

Ranil Herath
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm looking to setup the following and was wondering if someone could answer a few questions that I have.

Setup:

• At a branch office, our ISP is giving us a 20/100 leased line and an ADSL circuit to be used for failover.
  • We are thinking of connecting the leased line to either a Cisco 4321 or a Cisco 2921/2951 G2
  • We are planning to connect the ADSL circuit to the Cisco 887VA G2
  • We will have an HA pair of ASA 5506x firewalls connected the routers (either through a dedicated L2 switch or  VLAN on a L3 switch).
  • The LAN sits behind the firewalls.

We want to run BGP on both routers (the one that connects to the leased line and the ADSL line) and configure them as an HSRP/VRRP pair, so that if the leased line fails the LAN users can still access the internet and connect to the main office through a S2S VPN that terminates on the firewalls. BGP will only be used to advertise our public subnet to the ISP

Questions

1. Can a 4321 and a 887VA form an HSRP/VRRP pair as they are running IOS XE and IOS?
  2. How much RAM and Flash is recommended on each router for BGP?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Ranil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Can a 4321 and a 887VA form an HSRP/VRRP pair as they are running IOS XE and IOS?

That's not an issue it will work between both routers

1. How much RAM and Flash is recommended on each router for BGP?

flash is only an isuse to the size of an image , both routers should have enough speace to support the image size by default

800s cannot support full BGP table they cant handle it in cpu or ram  and 4321 even with 8GB ram may struggle a bit with full table , are you planning on reducing what's learned inform your ISP in terms of prefixes ?  route-map and prefix filtering ?

the leased line is that 100 download 20 up , the 4321 supports and aggregate of 50 - 100mps may need to get the 100mpbs for it , performance per demand

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/whitepaper_c11-732909.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Can a 4321 and a 887VA form an HSRP/VRRP pair as they are running IOS XE and IOS?

That's not an issue it will work between both routers

1. How much RAM and Flash is recommended on each router for BGP?

flash is only an isuse to the size of an image , both routers should have enough speace to support the image size by default

800s cannot support full BGP table they cant handle it in cpu or ram  and 4321 even with 8GB ram may struggle a bit with full table , are you planning on reducing what's learned inform your ISP in terms of prefixes ?  route-map and prefix filtering ?

the leased line is that 100 download 20 up , the 4321 supports and aggregate of 50 - 100mps may need to get the 100mpbs for it , performance per demand

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/whitepaper_c11-732909.pdf

Thanks Mark.

Yes we'll be doing filtering hopefully these will be alright. Am I right in thinking that the 4321 will need a data license and the 887 will need an Advanced IP license?

Thanks again for your help

Ranil

Yes that's right 4000 series have data license all my routers that have BGP enabled are running Data and 800 series , I have 881s here which I presume licences wil be the same im running BGP on them and its advipservices

Brilliant! Thank you very much. Really appreciate your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card