cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I have a question about the connection between TRACK and VRRP

sjrcoel
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello, while studying vrrp, I discovered a track object and found out that there is a track connection. However, while looking at internal Cisco documents, I was wondering, "The vrp track interface commandties of the priority of the router to availability of its interfaces. It is used for tracking interfaces that are not configured for VRRP. Only IP interfaces are tracked. A tracked interface is up IP on that interface is up. Otherwise, the tracked interface is down."

To put it simply, I understand that the track object configuration itself is a configuration to reduce the priority, but for example, if you meet the conditions set as track as IBC1 TRACK in the picture below, please explain in detail whether you cut the priority or track only the IP interface among the settings set as TRACK and cut the priority if the interface fails.

sjrcoel_1-1702000544753.png

2 Replies 2

LAN-Router-WAN

We config vrrp in LAN interfere and use track to detect the status of WAN interfere 

If it down then the priority is changed and this push other routes in vrrp group to select as active. 

I hope this answer your Q. 

MHM

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @sjrcoel 

The adjustment of VRRP priority through the track object is done by decrementing or incrementing the router's priority based on the status of the tracked object. The basic idea is that when the tracked object is in a certain state (e.g., down), the router's VRRP priority is reduced, and when the tracked object is in a different state (e.g., up), the priority is increased.

When the tracked object goes down, the router decreases its VRRP priority by a specified value. This reduction is typically configured with the `decrement` option in the `track` command.

In this case, if Ethernet0/1 goes down, the router's VRRP priority for group 1 will be decremented by 20.

Conversely, when the tracked object comes back up, the router increments its VRRP priority by the specified value. This is done to restore the router's priority to its original value. The `increment` option can be used for this purpose.

The adjustments to priority are crucial for VRRP router election. The router with the highest priority in a VRRP group becomes the master. If there is a tie in priority, the router with the highest IP address on the VRRP interface becomes the master. By dynamically adjusting the priority based on the tracked object's status, you can influence the router election process in response to network conditions.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card